Klasnic calls former team-mates in kidney treatment claimMay 9th, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bremen, May 9 (DPA) Croatian footballer Ivan Klasnic is calling 64 players and coaches as witnesses as he seeks damages of more than 1 million euros ($1.35 million) in a medical dispute with his former club Werder Bremen.
Der Spiegel magazine reported that Germany internationals Torsten Frings, Miroslav Klose and Tim Borowski - all former team-mates at Bremen - are among those Klasnic wants to give evidence.
Frings is still a Bremen player, while Klose and Borowski are now at Bayern Munich.
Klasnic, 29, who now plays for French side Nantes, is suing two doctors at Werder Bremen over his treatment for kidney problems that eventually led to two organ transplants.
The striker last month rejected a settlement offer of 350,000 euros made by a Bremen judge, saying he wants the team doctors to acknowledge that they did not treat him properly.
Klasnic is seeking compensation totalling 1.1 million euros, including damages for pain suffered and loss of earnings.
He wants former team-mates to confirm that doctors routinely provided painkillers before matches, the player’s lawyer, Matthias Teichner, told the magazine.
Klasnic underwent two kidney transplant operations in early 2007 while still at Bremen.
He claims negligent treatment by the club’s medical team, alleging the doctors failed to recognise a serious kidney problem despite blood test readings which should have alerted them. The doctors reject the allegations.
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Ivan Klasnic to leave Bremen for Nantes - Jul 09, 2008
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Munich, Bremen, Schalke move into German Cup quarters - Oct 29, 2009
- Oezil, Khedira asked to learn English or Spanish by Mourinho - Sep 01, 2010
- Lahm to skipper Germany at World Cup; Neuer is keeper - May 28, 2010
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- Bremen sign Dutch midfielder Eljero Elia till 2016 - Jul 11, 2012
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- Mueller wins World Cup Golden Boot, best young player (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Mueller wins 2010 World Cup Golden Boot - Jul 12, 2010
- Galatasaray sign Moroccan footballer Amrabat - Jul 20, 2012
- Klose winner gives Germany best of Euro 2012 starts - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: bayern munich, der spiegel magazine, ivan klasnic, kidney problem, kidney problems, kidney transplant, kidney treatment, loss of earnings, miroslav klose, negligent treatment, organ transplants, team doctors, team mates, teichner, test readings, tim borowski, torsten frings, transplant operations, two doctors, werder bremen