Klaasen to take on Yuki in the ITF finalMay 1st, 2009 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) Top seed Raven Klaasen avenged his last week’s loss to Visnhu Vardhan and set up a title clash with Yuki Bhambri who outplayed Thai Weerapat Doakmaiklee in the $15,000 International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournament at the DLTA complex here Friday.
Klaasen, a South African Davis Cupper, who had frittered away four match points in his semi-final loss to Vardhan, had no hiccups Friday in his 6-3, 6-4 win in an hour and 22 minutes. Later, on the same court, Yuki packed off his stocky Thai opponent 6-1, 6-4, in a shade less than an hour.
However, Vardhan won the doubles title with Divij Sharan, beating Tushar Liberhan and Vishal Punna 6-1, 6-3.
Klaasen’s all-court game unsettled Vishnu who was forced into errors, unable to cope with his opponent’s clever strokeplay. All that the South African needed was a break in each set to sail through to his first final of the year.
Yuki continued his straight-set winning, serving well and hitting some big forehand winners to stamp his authority on Doakmaiklee.
The 16-year-old junior Australian Open champion banked on his serve to bail him out of the tight spots, acing the Thai nine times in the match, though he did drop one game in the second set.
Yuki cruised through the first set, breaking Doakmaiklee twice — in the second and the sixth games.
The Delhi youngster, however, lost his focus somewhat in the second set allowing the Thai to stretch him a little. Yuki saved three break points in the fourth game and three more in the sixth to drop the game. He, however, broke right back.
Out of the jail, Yuki took the next three games to win the set and the match.
Yuki said he is not unduly worried taking on Klaasen, ten years his senior.
“I know I have to play a solid game to beat Klaasen. I haven’t played him but have seen him play. I will just play my game,” Yuki said.
- Yuki in quarterfinals of ITF tournament - May 12, 2010
- Close call for Vijay Sundar - Jul 24, 2012
- Sharma puts out Vijayaraghavan in ITF event - Jul 30, 2012
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- Jeevan survives close match in Bangalore ITF event - Jun 12, 2012
- Easy wins for Vishnu, Sriram in ITF meet - Jun 04, 2012
- Chen stumbles into semis of ITF meet - Jun 14, 2012
- Yuki continues to dominate ITF tournament - Apr 30, 2009
- Yuki wards off second set fighback by Gajjar - Apr 28, 2009
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Nam shuts out Murugesan in tennis meet - Jul 26, 2012
- Smooth sailing for seeds in Bangalore ITF - Jun 13, 2012
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Top seed Chen bows out of ITF meet - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: australian open, australian open champion, break points, court game, cupper, hiccups, international tennis federation, itf, match points, New Delhi, nine times, opponent, three games, tight spots, title clash, vishal, vishnu, youngster, yuki bhambri