Kiwi women ’spend and stress more over Christmas gifts’December 11th, 2010 - 2:25 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Dec 11 (ANI): A new survey in New Zealand has shown that women tend to spend more on Christmas gifts and feel more stressed about the holiday season than men.
The latest Christmas poll by AMP Capital Shopping Centres, which owns The Palms shopping mall, found 23 per cent of respondents reported being more stressed than last year, compared with just 7 per cent in the previous poll in 2007. The poll surveyed shoppers in Auckland, Mt Maunganui and 280 in Christchurch.
The company’s senior marketing manager, Desiree Clark, said it was a mixed picture.
“Kiwis are feeling the pinch, but we seem to be in good shape by global standards. It is shaping up to be a more prudent Christmas, but not a dark season at all,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Clark as saying.
The number one cause of stress for 88 per cent of respondents this Christmas season was crowds in shopping areas. About 83 per cent named traffic and parking next on the list, followed by financial pressures (75 per cent).
Other stress included shopping for “difficult-to-buy-for people”, gaining weight, post-Christmas bills and last-minute shopping.
Women made up 88 per cent of the respondents, but men were found to stress more than women on one factor - last-minute shopping.
About 26 per cent of respondents said they would be “spending more than they should” on Christmas gifts this year.
Most men said they planned to spend a total of 200 dollars to 299 dollarson gifts, while women expected to spend 500 dollars to 599 dollars.
More Kiwis found pleasure at Christmas rather than stress, with the summer ranking as the best thing about the holiday season.
Other pleasures included seeing family and friends, barbecues, giving gifts, outdoor activities, special holiday foods and Christmas decorations. (ANI)
- 1 in 3 Australians struggling with post-holiday blues - Jan 27, 2011
- Brit women spend more on themselves during Christmas - Dec 03, 2010
- It's official! Men really do hate shopping - Dec 19, 2010
- Looking at Christmas tree for 5 minutes could ease festive stress - Dec 24, 2010
- Oz women 'spend more on themselves during Christmas' - Dec 12, 2010
- US holiday spending up 4.1 percent over 2010 - Dec 29, 2011
- Mistresses 'receive more lavish holiday gifts than wives' - Dec 14, 2010
- Men, women still follow ancient rituals while shopping - Dec 22, 2010
- Women 'more stressed than men Down Under' - Jul 14, 2010
- Women 'more likely to buy gifts for their pets than partners' - Mar 31, 2011
- Men cutting back on Valentine's Day gifts: Study - Feb 10, 2011
- Money woes causing Brit women to put off having babies - Nov 11, 2010
- Women spend 300 hours preparing for Christmas: UK study - Nov 18, 2010
- Jay-Z Spends $350K on Beyonce Birkin Bags Gift - Dec 29, 2010
- How to practice 'safe stress' during the holidays - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,