Kiwi woman turns celeb with 25,000 Twitter followers after online chat show!March 20th, 2010 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Mar 20 (ANI): An online chat show has turned a Kiwi woman into an instant celebrity with 25,000 followers on Twitter.
Lisa Etheridge, 39, a mother of one from Auckland, signed up for an account with micro-blogging website Twitter as part of a Unitec class exercise to promote relations with sister universities in Ireland and Chile.
Initially, Etheridge, a self-confessed technophobe, had just two classmates registered as followers and posted just one message under the pseudonym LisaTickledPink - “I hate technology.”
Then journalist Leo Laporte and Internet entrepreneur Kevin Rose, the founder of one of the world’s biggest social sites, Digg.com, decided to randomly pick a Twitter account and recommend people sign on as followers.
They were running a live Internet chat show, watched by 175,000 people.
“Hold on, I think I may have found a user. LisaTickledPink says `I hate technology,’” Stuff.co.nz quoted Kevin Rose as telling viewers on the show.
Leo Laporte responded: “Oh that’s it, that sounds like the right person for us. OK, let’s see what we can do.”
And since the exchange, 25,000 Twitter users began following Etheridge - and now she has reached the top 2 per cent of most followed among all 6.5 million worldwide Twitter users.
“The first thing that ran through my mind was that I had made a big mistake when I joined up,” she said.
“I couldn’t figure out why everyone was emailing me, I just assumed ‘oh no, I pushed the wrong button or ticked the wrong box,’” she added.
But now she is a Twitter fan and an Internet celebrity.
“I have got my own help centre now, it’s just incredible. If I have any questions about anything to do with technology or anything for that matter, within one minute, two minutes, I have got about 50 to 60 responses and they just keep coming through the day. It is fantastic in that sense and everybody is very gracious,” she said. (ANI)
- Want a higher follower tally on Twitter? Resort to flaming! - Dec 08, 2010
- Katy Perry wonders if internet is good - Jul 28, 2012
- Internet made me famous: Kim Kardashian - Apr 25, 2012
- Social media powering modern protests, note experts - Apr 17, 2012
- Lady Gaga's perfume photos leaked online - Jun 15, 2012
- I'm not a social network genius: Courtney Love - May 06, 2012
- Russian president joins Facebook - Oct 20, 2011
- Young people drive growth of Twitter in Africa - Jan 27, 2012
- Fake Martin Luther King Jr. quote goes viral on the Internet - May 04, 2011
- Indian-origin British TV star faces racist taunts - Jun 25, 2012
- Tiny Chat Gets 1 Million Users, Incorporates New Feature - Sep 12, 2010
- Too bored to comment? Click 'Meh' button on Facebook - Aug 14, 2010
- Medvedev doesn't mind abusive comments on Twitter - May 13, 2011
- Indiana cop pays $5 entry fee to make arrest at fair - Jul 31, 2010
- Nicki Minaj quits Twitter - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 5 million, big mistake, blogging, chat show, class exercise, classmates, followers, help centre, internet celebrity, internet chat, internet entrepreneur, journalist, kiwi woman, leo laporte, pseudonym, sister universities, twitter, two minutes, universities in ireland, wellington