Kiwi woman “miraculously” rescued from Christchurch quake siteFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:28 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Feb 23 (ANI): A woman, who was trapped inside a building for over 25 hours following the 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, has been miraculously rescued.
The New Zealand Herald quoted Ann Bodkin’s husband, Graham Richardson, as saying that after being rescued, his wife could not turn her neck to look at him, and she just giggled.
On being asked if hoped that Ann would be alive, Richardson said: “You always hope. I had lots of people around me helping and praying that she’d be fine. Ann is one of the miracles of the day.”
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker, who was present at the location, said that he was touched after seeing the re-union of the pair.
“When she came out, she said to her husband, Graham: “I didn’t know if I was going to see you again, but I was determined to see you again,” Parker added.
Ann Bodkin was immediately taken away for a medical check-up after being rescued, and was also made to wear a sunglass to protect her eyes after spending a long time in the dark.
Meanwhile, the New Zealand government has declared a national state of emergency after reports emerged that the devastating earthquake had killed at least 75 people.
Yesterday, Prime Minister John Key had said that the quake could prove to be New Zealand’s “darkest day”, adding: “It’s an absolute tragedy for this city, for New Zealand, for the people we care so much about and it’s a terrifying time for the people of Canterbury.” (ANI)
- Christchurch quake toll rises to 65 - Feb 22, 2011
- Kiwi teen sparks outrage after she taunted quake survivors on Facebook - Feb 28, 2011
- New Zealand quake toll reaches 160 - Mar 02, 2011
- New Zealand falls silent in tribute to quake dead one year on - Feb 22, 2012
- New Zealand earthquake survivor trapped in 'foetal position' marries - Feb 25, 2011
- 65 killed as quake shakes up New Zealand city (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 65 die as quake ravages New Zealand city (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 65 dead in New Zealand quake - Feb 22, 2011
- Christchurch quake: National emergency declared as toll reaches 75 - Feb 23, 2011
- Pope prays for victims of New Zealand quake - Feb 24, 2011
- Emergency declared after New Zealand quake (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- 5.1 earthquake near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jul 22, 2011
- 238 missing and 78 dead in New Zealand earthquake - Feb 24, 2011
- New Zealand quake: Toll rises to 123 - Feb 26, 2011
- Moderate 5.5-magnitude earthquake shakes Christchurch - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,