Kiwi town bans ‘unlucky’ number 13!May 26th, 2009 - 4:04 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 26 (ANI): Fear of bad luck has forced a Kiwi town to ban number 13.
Palmerston North, in the central North Island, New Zealand has a policy to jump street numbers from number 11 to 15 to avoid the unlucky figure in-between.
The bizarre regulation is in place so people with triskaidekaphobia, or fear of the number 13, are not deterred from buying homes carrying the number on the letterbox.
According to The Dominion Post newspaper, Palmerston North City Council has admitted the age-old policy is a little odd, reports News.com.au.
And residents at number 15 can apply to have their numbers adapted if they really want.
A 92-year-old World War II vet anti-tank gunner Basil Buckley, who lives in the nearby capital of Wellington also criticised the policy.
Buckley said he’d lived at number 13 without incident for 40 years and the policy was a whole lot of “nonsense’. (ANI)
- Triskaidekaphobia Haunts The Superstitious On Friday The 13th - Aug 13, 2010
- New Zealand train journey disrupted - because of wine on the tracks! - Mar 12, 2010
- Three in ten New Zealanders think Asian newcomers are taking away Kiwi jobs - Apr 13, 2011
- Tipsy driver keeps on drinking even after crashing car! - Jun 23, 2010
- New Zealand grounds ATRs after finding cracks - Mar 18, 2012
- Pornographer Steve Crow to go on with Boobs on Bike parade despite protests - Mar 20, 2010
- Why Friday the 13th is considered unlucky - Aug 13, 2010
- Warne signs up for Christchurch earthquake fund-raiser - Mar 04, 2011
- Kiwi man claims father forced him to have sex with sisters - Oct 23, 2010
- Kiwi father 'tried to rape daughter under the ruse of sex ed' - Oct 14, 2010
- Beware: Tomorrow is Friday the 13th - Aug 12, 2010
- Kiwi cyclist says Delhi not a problem if he can live under kitchen table for 3 months - Sep 29, 2010
- Frank Buckley builds a house of shredded notes - Jan 25, 2012
- Surinder Kaur to lead Indian team in New Zealand - Apr 19, 2010
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: bad luck, basil, dominion post newspaper, fear of the number 13, gunner, kiwi town, letterbox, melbourne, news com au, north island new zealand, number 11, palmerston, street numbers, tank, triskaidekaphobia, unlucky number 13, vet, wellington, whole lot, world war ii