Kiwi man meets woman who found his message in bottle thrown 12yrs agoJanuary 30th, 2011 - 6:32 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Jan 30 (ANI): A Kiwi skipper has finally met the woman who discovered his message in a bottle that he had thrown into the remote Pacific Ocean on a round-the-world voyage 12 years ago.
Jason Edmunds was sailing in the Galapagos Islands in 1999. After drinking a bottle of red as the sun set, he wrote a message and turfed the oceangram overboard, reports the New Zealand Herald.
Four years later and 9000 nautical miles away, Australian student Anita Matthews, then 13, saw the bottle washed up on North West Island, off the central Queensland coast.
She could see a message was stuck inside so she and her parents wrapped it in a towel and smashed it against rocks to get it out.
Then Matthews wrote to Edmunds to say: “You may find this extraordinary but so do I because I have never found a message in the bottle.
The pair struck up a friendship, and Edmunds traveled to Australia to meet Anita and her mother Sue on the Sunshine Coast at Christmas.
Scientists believe the bottle traveled north through the South Pacific Gyre off the Galapagos Islands, then into the East Australian Current, before approaching the South Equatorial Current and possibly weaving through Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia.
Edmunds was sailing a 48m catamaran from Spain to Auckland ahead of the America’s Cup when he threw the bottle.
He said he received the first letter from Matthews just before the birth of his daughter, Ocean, now aged 7. Edmunds and Matthews’ mother became Facebook friends, and he promised to get in touch when he was in Australia.
“Once I did meet them, there were things that we had very much in common, I’ve been looking for people like that for years,” Edmunds said. (ANI)
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake - Dec 25, 2010
- Ecuador begins destroying WW II bombs - Jan 18, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits Vanuatu - Apr 15, 2012
- Tsunami waves observed after powerful Vanuatu quake, warnings canceled - Dec 25, 2010
- Tsunami warnings issued following powerful quake near Vanuatu - Dec 25, 2010
- Powerful 7.1-magnitude quake strikes near Vanuatu - USGS - May 10, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Tsunami warnings issued after major earthquake off Vanuatu - May 28, 2010
- Boat made of plastic bottles completes Pacific tour - Jul 26, 2010
- Santa Cruz Islands Earthquake Trigger Tsunami Alert for 11 Territories & Countries - Oct 08, 2009
- Bone find may end mystery of Amelia Earhart's disappearance - Dec 14, 2010
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits the South Pacific Ocean, east of Vanuatu - Jul 31, 2011
- Powerful 7.6 quake near Vanuatu prompts tsunami warnings - Dec 25, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits off the Vanuatu Islands - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: america s cup, catamaran, central queensland, edmunds, facebook friends, galapagos islands, kiwi, man meets woman, message in a bottle, message in the bottle, nautical miles, new caledonia, new zealand herald, oceangram, pacific gyre, pacific ocean, queensland coast, skipper, sunshine coast, world voyage