Kiwi-Indian liquor storeowner’s widow calls for ban on imitation firearmsMarch 21st, 2010 - 12:42 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Mar. 21 (ANI): The widow of Indian-origin south Auckland liquor store-owner Navtej Singh has called for a ban on the sale of fake firearms following a shop assistant being held at gunpoint on Saturday.
Two men believed to be in their teens used a pistol in a daylight robbery before physically assaulting the young woman.
The pistol is believed to be an airgun although police do not know for sure.
“BB guns are actually similar to real guns so they should not be sold so freely. Police should have the power to stop people from buying these guns,” The New Zealand Herald quoted Harjinder Kaur, as saying.
“I mean, not only are families feeling helpless in this country but the police are helpless, too. People say police shouldn’t carry guns - but how can they protect themselves?” she added.
Singh was shot and killed with a .22 rifle in an armed robbery at his store in Manurewa in 2008. One of the six robbers was found guilty of murder.
Green Party MP Keith Locke seconded Kaur by saying that pressure needed to be placed on those who imported and sold the imitation weapons before a serious injury occurred.
“There are a number of problems around, there’s the problem of the police mistaking the gun for a real one and somebody could get hurt,” he said.
The robbery was one of a series of violent incidents at shops in the area in the past few weeks. (ANI)
- Police delays killed my husband, says Kiwi-Indian liquor store owner's widow - Mar 06, 2010
- 'Distraught' Kiwi Indian Navtej Singh's widow says living life of dead person - May 08, 2010
- Robber held after returning to shop for his coat! - Sep 16, 2011
- Indian Kiwi Navtej Singh's killer sentenced to life-imprisonment - May 07, 2010
- New Zealand court finds youth guilty of killing Indian - Mar 04, 2010
- Brother of Kiwi Indian Navtej Singh's murderer jailed for robbery - Aug 03, 2010
- Sentencing of Kiwi-Indian liquor store owner's killer delayed - Apr 23, 2010
- China to crack down on illegal gun possession - Feb 10, 2012
- Auckland jury retires from Indian-origin liquor store owner's trial - Mar 01, 2010
- Armed robbers loot Rs.15 lakh in Noida, nabbed, money recovered (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Pakistanis kill two shop robbers - Jul 19, 2012
- Cheryl Cole's brother jailed for 6 years - Mar 12, 2011
- Jeweller's house looted at gunpoint - Nov 30, 2011
- Five arrested for robbing Rs.16 lakhs from Delhi trader - Jun 25, 2010
- Criminal wanted in 17 cases arrested - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: airgun, armed robbery, bb guns, daylight robbery, green party mp keith locke, gunpoint, imitation firearms, indian origin, kaur, kiwi, liquor store owner, manurewa, new zealand herald, pistol, real guns, robbers, south auckland, two men, violent incidents, young woman