Kissinger apologises for 1973 ‘gassing Jews in Soviet Union’ remarksDecember 25th, 2010 - 2:57 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 25 (ANI): Former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger has apologized for his remarks he made in 1973 during a conversation with the then US President Richard Nixon, when he had said that it would not be an American concern if the Soviet Union sent its Jews to the gas chambers.
According to The Jerusalem Post, Kissinger made the apology in a Washington Post opinion piece and said: “References to gas chambers have no place in political discourse, and I am sorry I made that remark 37 years ago.”
Kissinger’s conversation with Nixon was recorded and he could be heard saying that the emigration of Jews from the Soviet Union is not an objective of American foreign policy.
“And if they put Jews into gas chambers in the Soviet Union, it is not an American concern. Maybe a humanitarian concern,” he had said.
However Kissinger’s piece on Friday claimed that his comment was largely taken out of context, while emphasizing that the Nixon administration had worked at helping Jewish emigration from the Soviet Union.
“For someone who lost in the Holocaust many members of my immediate family and a large proportion of those with whom I grew up, it is hurtful to see an out-of-context remark being taken so contrary to its intentions and to my convictions, which were profoundly shaped by these events,” Kissinger wrote.
Referring to his conversation with Nixon, where his gas chambers remark was made, Kissinger wrote “the conversation at issue arose not as a policy statement by me but in response to a request by the President that I should appeal to Senators Javits and Jackson and explain why we thought their approach unwise.” (ANI)
- Kissinger denies secret deal with India during 1971 war - Mar 17, 2012
- Oliver Stone's apology for comments on Hitler, Jews - Jul 28, 2010
- 'This woman suckered us', said Nixon of Indira Gandhi: Book - Mar 02, 2010
- Germany to pay over 50 million pounds to preserve World War II death camp - Dec 18, 2010
- US threatened to retaliate if Soviet Union attacked China: Report - May 13, 2010
- India, US feared rise of Islamist militancy in post-Mujib Bangladesh - Aug 15, 2009
- Publisher regrets suggesting Obama assassination - Jan 22, 2012
- French rail company SNCF regrets WWII deportations - Jan 26, 2011
- Vietnam bombing: US Senate takes steps to restore lost reputation of Air Force general - Aug 06, 2010
- Was JFK assassinated to stop him discovering the truth about UFOs? - Apr 19, 2011
- Kissinger urges US-China cooperation to avoid collision - Sep 28, 2011
- Virbhadra Singh threatens to sue Kejriwal - Apr 01, 2012
- Auschwitz Victims Honored On Holocaust Remembrance Day - Jan 27, 2010
- US, China cooperation crucial: Kissinger - Oct 18, 2011
- Indira Gandhi wanted to liberate Pakistani Kashmir: Advani - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: 37 years, american concern, american foreign policy, apologises, dec 25, former us secretary of state, gas chambers, henry kissinger, humanitarian concern, immediate family, javits, jerusalem post, jewish emigration, nixon administration, political discourse, president richard nixon, richard nixon, soviet union, us secretary of state, washington post