Kirsten not in running for England coach job: BCCIApril 2nd, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
London/New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has dismissed British media reports that India coach Gary Kirsten is in the running for the England coach’s job.
BCCI Thursday said that Kirsten had a two-year contract with India which ends February 2010.
“We do not want to comment on such speculations,” BCCI secretary N. Srinivisan told IANS.
British media reported Thursday that Kirsten has emerged as a “potential front runner” for the job of England coach.
Kirsten,too, denied that he has been shortlisted by England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
“I am not a candidate,” Kirsten said in Wellington.
The reports said that a four-man ECB panel chaired by the managing director of ECB, Hugh Morris, would interview the candidates on the shortlist for the job at a secret location.
“We are pleased with those who have applied. Our interview process will begin when we get home at the weekend with a view to appointing the permanent post before the West Indies series,” Morris said.
Andy Flower, who is currently the stand-in coach after the sacking of Peter Moores in January, remains the strong favourite to continue the role.
“I am impressed by him. He has taken the challenges on board, gained the respect of players and management team and done really well,” Morris said
Mickey Arthur, the South Africa coach, was also linked to the process though he said that he remained committed to his national contract till 2011.
Another acclaimed candidate, Graham Ford, director of cricket at Kent, withdrew his candidacy last week, citing a process he viewed as too long.
Tags: andy flower, candidacy, ecb, england and wales cricket board, england coach, gary kirsten, graham ford, india bcci, management team, managing director, mickey, moores, national contract, New Delhi, secret location, shortlist, south africa coach, speculations, wales cricket board, west indies