King’s Cup final will be played in ValenciaMarch 7th, 2009 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, March 7 (DPA) The Spanish Football Federation has confirmed that the King’s Cup final will be played in Valencia’s Estadio Mestalla stadium and not moved to a bigger ground.
The federation said in a statement that that Mestalla was chosen for the May 13 final at the request of Valencia, as part of the celebration of the club’s 90th anniversary.
Both finalists, Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona, had been considering asking the federation to change the venue to a bigger stadium - such as Real Madrid’s Estadio Bernabeu - in order to satisfy the demand for tickets from their fans.
Bilbao reached the final, their first since 1985, Wednesday by beating Sevilla on a 4-2 aggregate. Barca came through 3-1 against Mallorca.
Most of the Basque and Catalan media were in favour of changing the venue, in addition to Madrid sports daily AS.
According to the media, around 30,000 fans from each club would like to buy tickets for the final.
The capacity of Valencia’s Estadio Mestalla, which was inauguarated in 1923, has been reduced from 65,000 to 53,000 in the past few years.
It is due to be demolished in 2010. Valencia planned to move to a new 75,000-seat stadium, but construction of the new ground was suspended last week due to the club’s serious financial problems.
- Atletico Madrid to host Barca-Bilbao Copa del Rey final - Feb 25, 2012
- Real Madrid a win away from Liga title - May 02, 2012
- Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona vie in Copa del Rey final - May 24, 2012
- Tensions rise in Madrid ahead of Copa del Rey final - May 25, 2012
- Still no venue for Copa del Rey final - Feb 14, 2012
- Real Madrid's lead shrinks to four points - Apr 09, 2012
- Valencia draw Barcelona in Copa del Rey semis first leg - Feb 02, 2012
- Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter-final clash likely - Dec 24, 2011
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Copa return leg matches may see some surprises - Jan 10, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Real Madrid and Barca set for eighth 'Clasico' in 9 months - Jan 17, 2012
- Barca continue dominance over Real with Bernabeu win - Jan 19, 2012
- Barca beat Valencia to enter Copa del Rey final - Feb 09, 2012
- When the Barcelona cat is away, the Madrid mice will play - Dec 17, 2009
Tags: 90th anniversary, athletic bilbao, barca, barcelona, basque, catalan, celebration, estadio bernabeu, estadio mestalla, favour, football federation, mestalla stadium, new ground, real madrid, seat stadium, sevilla, spanish football, Sports, venue