Kim Jong-un inspects artillery unit before South Korea-US drillAugust 18th, 2012 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 18 (IANS) North Korean leader Kim Jong-un Saturday inspected a frontline artillery unit ahead of a planned South Korea-US annual joint military exercise, state media reported.
During his visit to the unit of the Korean People’s Army (KPA) on the Mu islet on the southwest front, Kim praised the service members and told them never to tolerate any enemy aggression, Xinhua reported citing North Korea’s official news agency KCNA.
The annual joint drills between South Korea and the US, code-named “Ulchi Freedom Guardian”, are set for Aug 20-31 and will involve around 56,000 South Korean troops and 30,000 US soldiers.
“If the enemy dares recklessly preempt firing and even a single shell drops on the territory of North Korea, the KPA should lead the battle to a sacred war for national reunification, not confining it to a local war on the southwest region,” Kim was quoted as saying.
He also ordered the KPA to turn the sea into a “graveyard of the invaders”.
Kim, also supreme commander of the KPA, carefully observed the Yonphyong Island from a post and expressed satisfaction over the combat posture of the detachment.
North and South Korea exchanged fierce artillery fire near Yonphyong Island in November 2010, killing four South Koreans. Both sides accused the other of firing the first shot.
“This islet is not only the biggest hotspot on the Korean Peninsula but a very sensitive area on which world attention is focused and where the interests of many countries are intermingled,” Kim was quoted as saying.
Xinhua said the North Korean leader criticised the US and South Korea for “threatening peace and stability of not only North Korea but of the region and the rest of the world”.
He ordered the servicemen to be vigilant “against every move of the enemy” and “not to miss their golden chance to deal at once deadly counter-blows at the enemy” if even a single shell is dropped on the waters or in the area where the sovereignty of North Korea is exercised, KCNA said.
- Pyongyang condemns South Korea-US military drill - Aug 19, 2012
- Kim Jong-un signs order of battle - Aug 27, 2012
- N. Korea says shelling incident caused by S. Korean provocation - Dec 09, 2010
- North Korea marks army's 80th anniversary - Apr 25, 2012
- Kim's son behind attack on South Korea to 'mobilise military and consolidate his power' - Nov 24, 2010
- N. Korea accuses US of goading S. Korea into provocation - Dec 19, 2010
- Kim Jong-un elected chairman of National Defence Commission - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korea warns Seoul over military drill - Feb 19, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- 'N. Korea could attack South again prior to power succession' - Dec 01, 2010
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- North and South Korea exchange fire - Aug 10, 2011
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: artillery fire, artillery unit, golden chance, islet, kim jong, korean leader, korean peninsula, korean people, kpa, military exercise, national reunification, peace and stability, sacred war, sensitive area, single shell, south korea, south korean troops, south koreans, southwest region, world attention