Kim Jong-il unanimously reappointed North Korean leaderSeptember 28th, 2010 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
Seoul (South Korea), Sep 28(ANI): Despite his visibly fragile health, North Korean leader Kim Jong-il was on Tuesday reappointed as the General Secretary of the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) at a crucial conference here.
Jong-il had assumed office as the WPK General Secretary on October 8, 1997.
He is reportedly suffering from several illnesses, and is believed to have had a stroke two years ago. He has also travelled to China for treatment.
According to the Xinhua news agency, the nomination shows an absolute support for and confidence in the top leader by the party and people.
Hours before the conference began, Jong-il’s youngest son, Kim Jong-un, was promoted as a military general, potentially paving the way for a transfer of power.
Jong-il’s sister, Kyong-hui, has also been named a general. She is married to Chang Song-taek, seen by some analysts as North Korea’s second-most powerful leader.
North Korea is the world’s only family-run communist dictatorship. (ANI)
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's youngest son 'made military general' - Sep 28, 2010
- North Korea:Kim Jong-il Starts Succession as Youngest Son Takes Office - Sep 28, 2010
- North Korean succession is stable: South Korea, US - Dec 30, 2011
- North Korea holds military parade - Apr 15, 2012
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- 'Kim Jong-il's death was extensive intelligence failure' - Dec 20, 2011
- Kim's death rocks South Korea's financial market - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong Un appointed North Korea's top military commander - Jan 01, 2012
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- North Korea mourns Kim Jong-il - Dec 29, 2011
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- North Korea's top leader Kim Jong-il is dead (Second Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-il likely to announce youngest son as political heir on September 28 - Sep 21, 2010
- Kim Jong-un elected chairman of National Defence Commission - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: china, communist dictatorship, confidence, fragile health, general secretary, illnesses, kim jong il, korean leader, military general, nomination, north korea, north korean leader kim jong il, october 8, paving the way, seoul south korea, south korea, workers party, wpk, xinhua news agency, youngest son