Kilos creeping up among Oz mums under 40April 4th, 2011 - 6:48 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr 4 (ANI): A new study has revealed that mothers under 40 are now gaining weight at the fastest rate in Australia - posing a threat to the health system and future generations.
While the weight gain isn’t big - just under a kilogram a year, according to a recent study - over a 10- to 20-year period it could make these women overweight or obese, reports the Herald Sun.
“Most women would not even be aware of this weight gain,” says Catherine Lombard, healthy lifestyles director of the Jean Hailes Foundation for Women’s Health, who led the year-long study of 250 mums between the ages of 25 and 49.
Lombard says it’s concerning that young women of reproductive age are now gaining more weight than middle-aged women.
“Women tend to be in control of the food in the house, so they influence what their partner and children eat and how much activity their children do.”
An important reason to prevent the mummy kilo creep is the burden it could place on the health system.
If currently healthy-weight mums become overweight or obese in 10 to 20 years and take their partners with them, they may have health issues such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Add to that a generation of children with diet and weight problems and the burden on the health system will be exacerbated.
The reasons for the overall weight gain in mums include lifestyle changes such as adopting poorer eating habits or overeating, having babies but not losing the pregnancy weight and spending more hours a day seated. (ANI)
- Older obese kids eat less than healthy peers - Sep 10, 2012
- Infants of obese mothers slow developers - Aug 07, 2012
- Weight Watchers' members lose twice as many kilos - Sep 08, 2011
- Menopausal women could 'work out' hot flashes - Jun 29, 2012
- Talking about weight might give kids eating disorder - Jul 02, 2012
- Study links Preschoolers' cavities and overweight - Jun 23, 2010
- Obese and overweight women, kids think they weigh less - Mar 24, 2011
- Childhood obesity comes from unhealthy lifestyle: Study - Feb 01, 2011
- Weight loss secures lasting benefits - Aug 03, 2012
- Single kids likely to be obese? - Sep 18, 2012
- How social influences affect weight status in young adults - Jan 12, 2011
- Overweight people will stay that way for ever - Jul 26, 2011
- Tonsillectomy 'leads to excess weight gain in kids' - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Women hunched over desks for long gain weight' - Jul 11, 2012
- Blame habits for childhood obesity, not heredity - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,