Kidney-transplant ring exposed in ChinaMay 30th, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 30 (IANS) A kidney-trafficking gang has been busted in a Chinese city and its ringleader, who was housing kidney-sellers in a residential complex, has been arrested.
Police rescued all the 28 individuals who were staying in the residential complex in Hangzhou city, Shanghai Daily reported.
The gang found sellers at railway stations, took them to a hospital for physical examination and provided them accommodations as they waited for kidney-removal surgery.
The man, identified as Dong Ge, was apprehended in Changsha, capital of Hunan province, said Wang Jun, a police official.
According to a report by a news portal, nearly 30 young men, either in debt or wanting to make quick money, were waiting for surgery and payment of 35,000 yuan (about $5,500) for a kidney.
One of the rescued men, surnamed Ji, said he sold his kidney to buy a motorbike. Another person, surnamed Li, said he had to collect money to compensate his co-worker in an accident settlement.
- 16 Chinese held in kidney transplant racket - Mar 01, 2012
- Chinese men facing trial in Beijing over human organ trafficking - Feb 11, 2011
- Woman's leg cut off by glass sheet - Jul 10, 2011
- This Chinese gang has 46 women, 22 of them pregnant - Jun 02, 2011
- Tomb robbers sentenced to death in central China - May 15, 2010
- The pet dog that carries shopping bags for owner! - Oct 12, 2009
- Hong Kong tops Chinese competitive city list - May 21, 2012
- Chinese bomber to be executed for deadly blast - Dec 29, 2011
- Six coaxed to hang in sex games in China - Apr 21, 2010
- Five Chinese held for illegal blood trade - Feb 10, 2012
- A chicken with four legs! - Mar 22, 2012
- 10 killed as tourist bus overturns in China - Oct 16, 2011
- Donor organs go waste in Britain - Feb 13, 2012
- Chinese city to preserve 1,000-year-old walls - Feb 27, 2012
- Woman sacked after 'no work' message on social networking - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: china beijing, chinese city, co worker, hangzhou city, kidney removal, kidney transplant, motorbike, physical examination, police official, quick money, railway stations, ringleader, shanghai, trafficking, wang jun, young men, yuan