Kidnapped principal beheaded in the PhilippinesNovember 9th, 2009 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Zamboanga City (The Philippines), Nov 9 (DPA) A kidnapped state school principal was beheaded by his abductors on a southern Philippine island, a regional military spokesman said Monday.
The head of Gabriel Canizares, 36, was recovered at dawn Monday at a petrol station in Jolo town on Jolo Island, 1,000 km south of Manila, Major Ramon David Hontiveros said.
Hontiveros said two motorcycle-riding gunmen, believed to be Abu Sayyaf rebels, allegedly threw a plastic bag containing the victim’s head in front of the petrol station.
Police officers were still looking for Canizares’ body.
Canizares was seized Oct 19 by a dozen Abu Sayyaf guerrillas in Patikul town while travelling in a passenger minibus.
The kidnapping occurred despite intensified military operations against the Abu Sayyaf rebels after the release in July of the last of three international Red Cross volunteers seized by the guerrillas on Jolo in January.
The Abu Sayyaf is the smallest but most violent Muslim rebel group in the southern Philippines. The group has been responsible for deadly terrorist attacks and high-profile kidnappings in the country.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo Monday ordered the military and the police “to put an end to the Abu Sayyaf group’s heinous and inhumane atrocities”.
“The death of Mr Canizares will not be in vain,” deputy presidential spokeswoman Lorelie Fajardo said. “Rescue efforts will shift to punitive action.”
“The police and military operations are in full swing,” she said. “We shall make them pay for the enormity of this savagery.”
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines escapes, to return home (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian who dodged Philippine rebels to return by Tuesday - Aug 11, 2012
- Biju comes home from the forests of Philippines - Aug 19, 2012
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clash - Jun 11, 2009
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Over 40 killed in Philippines fighting - Aug 13, 2009
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Three killed in Philippines ambush - Apr 06, 2009
- Five militants killed in Philippines - Nov 03, 2009
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines - Feb 13, 2009
Tags: abductors, abu sayyaf group, abu sayyaf rebels, canizares, david hontiveros, full swing, gloria macapagal arroyo, international red cross volunteers, jolo island, military spokesman, petrol station, president gloria macapagal, president gloria macapagal arroyo, punitive action, rebel group, red cross volunteers, rescue efforts, savagery, southern philippines, zamboanga city