Kidnapped engineer not held by Al Qaeda: JapanNovember 23rd, 2009 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Midi, Nov 23 (IANS/AKI) A Japanese engineer kidnapped by Yemeni tribesmen earlier this month was not being held by Al Qaeda, the Japanese embassy in Yemen said Monday.
A tribal source had said Saturday that Al Qaeda gunmen had abducted the engineer Nov 15 and taken him to an unknown destination in the Maarib region east of Sanaa.
But a Yemeni official Sunday denied tribal claims that Al Qaeda had the hostage.
“He is still in the same place,” an embassy official told reporters.
There is growing international concern about the deteriorating security situation in Yemen.
Three Saudi soldiers were killed and a number of others were wounded as they fought to stop new cross-border raids by Yemeni rebels Saturday.
Saudi Arabia has imposed a naval blockade in the area to stop weapons being smuggled by militants.
Saudi airforce planes conducted operations in the border area, where the Yemeni rebels launched an attack on Saudi border guards earlier this month, the website said.
The rebels’ Nov 3 cross border raid into Saudi Arabia, the world’s top oil exporter, raised concerns about the wider impact of instability in Yemen, one of the poorest nations outside Africa.
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- Al Qaeda wanted to attack Saudi capital - Dec 03, 2010
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Yemen troops capture Al Qaeda stronghold - Jun 16, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- US asks embassy officials in Yemen to evacuate - May 26, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- 11 Al-Qaeda suspects arrested in Yemen - Mar 04, 2010
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Al Qaeda appeals to women to fight in Yemen - May 21, 2010
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- US, France, Middle East concerned over Yemen becoming al-Qaeda base: Wikileaks - Apr 10, 2011
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,