Key Obama aide Holbrooke critical after aorta surgeryDecember 12th, 2010 - 1:52 am ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec.11. (ANI): U.S.President Barack Obama’s Special Envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard C. Holbrooke, was said to be in critical condition on Saturday after undergoing aortic surgery at the George Washington University Hospital here.
A medical bulletin issued by hospital staff said that doctors had performed surgery on Holbrooke to repair a tear in an artery.
The U.S. State Department said:”This morning, doctors completed surgery to repair a tear in his aorta. He is in critical condition and has been joined by his family.”
The veteran diplomat was admitted to George Washington University Hospital Friday after falling ill while at work at the State Department.
The Obama Administration’s top aide for the region had undergone evaluations at the hospital Friday.
Holbrooke, 69, was entrusted with the task to lead American diplomatic efforts in the region in the early days of the Obama Administration and has since been traveling to the two countries and engaging with the top Pakistani and Afghan officials since.
He has also undertook travels to several European and Asian countries as part of efforts to coordinate the U.S. policy in the region.
The diplomat is a former two-time Assistant Secretary of State, Ambassador to Germany, and was a key player in the Dayton Peace accords, which brokered an end to the conflict in Bosnia. (ANI)
- Pakistan praying for Holbrooke's recovery: Qureshi - Dec 12, 2010
- Obama describes Holbrooke as 'towering figure', prays for him - Dec 12, 2010
- Zardari sends over flowers, get well message to critically ill Holbrooke - Dec 13, 2010
- US diplomat Richard Holbrooke dies at 69 - Dec 14, 2010
- Richard Holbrooke In Critical Condition After Heart Surgery - Dec 12, 2010
- U.S. Ambassador Holbrooke in critical condition following surgery - Dec 11, 2010
- US trouble shooter Richard Holbrooke is dead (Third Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- 'Larger than life': U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke dead at 69 - Dec 14, 2010
- Zardari likely to visit Washington for Holbrooke's Jan 12 memorial service - Jan 01, 2011
- Frank Ruggiero replaces Holbrooke as acting US special envoy - Dec 15, 2010
- Holbrooke an accomplished diplomat: India - Dec 14, 2010
- Holbrooke's death leaves major void in Obama's Afghan strategy - Dec 14, 2010
- First human implant of device for aortic injury in U.S. performed - Feb 11, 2010
- Veteran US Diplomat Richard Holbrooke Passes Away At 69 - Dec 14, 2010
- QUOTES -- Reaction to the passing of U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: afghan officials, ambassador, aorta, asian countries, assistant secretary, barack obama, critical condition, dayton peace accords, diplomat, diplomatic efforts, evaluations, george washington, george washington university, george washington university hospital, hospital staff, medical bulletin, richard c, secretary of state, state department, time assistant