Kerala next? Police say no such tip-off from Karnataka

July 27th, 2008 - 6:17 pm ICT by IANS  


Thiruvananthapuram, July 27 (IANS) Media reports here Sunday said that the Karnataka police have received an email that Kerala would be the next terror target, but a top state police official denied that any such mail has been received. Top police officials went into a huddle here Sunday to discuss the security situation after the back-to-back bombings in Bangalore and Ahmedabad.

Senior Inspector General of Police Arun Kumar Sinha, who was part of the high-level meeting, said the police have so far received no official communication from the Karnataka police about the email.

“We have not yet received any information to this effect, but we are leaving no stone unturned. We have placed the state on high alert,” said Sinha.

The meeting was to alert the anti-bomb squad as well as all police stations.

Director General of Police Raman Srivastava is to hold a video conference with the anti-bomb squad later.

Meanwhile, the police are keeping a close watch at all public places, especially railway and bus stations, and have begun checking vehicles at border check posts.

Since the Friday bomb blasts in Bangalore, the state police have been conducting inspections at hotels and lodges and have asked them to inform the police of the nature of the guests who come to take rooms.

The sensitive places in Kerala include Kozhikode, which has a previous history of bomb blasts.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe