Kenyan police nab over 130 immigrantsJuly 10th, 2012 - 9:49 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi, July 10 (IANS) A total of 133 foreigners, including two Pakistanis and a Briton, have been arrested by Kenyan police in a major security swoop, as the east African nation tightens security amid terrorism threats across the country, Xinhua reported.
The suspected illegal immigrants comprising two Pakistanis, one Briton, 81 Somalis, 47 Ethiopians and two Sudanese were arrested Sunday night in an operation intended to get rid of aliens residing in the country, said Nairobi regional police commander Anthony Kibuchi.
The suspects were arrested from various Nairobi residential estates in an operation dubbed, Fagia Wageni (Get rid off visitors).
They were to appear before various courts Monday and Tuesday over the offence of being illegally present in the country, the official added.
Kenya has enhanced security measures across the country to thwart terror threats being mounted by Al Qaeda affiliated group Al-Shabaab blamed for grenade and landmine attacks on Kenyans.
The country has been subjected to successive explosives attacks by Al-Shabaab operatives in the country following the onslaught by Kenyan soldiers on the Al-Shabaab in Somalia after the militia staged a series of attacks along the Kenyan coast.
- 14 hurt in Nairobi grenade attack - Oct 24, 2011
- Kenya launches manhunt for German terrorist - May 13, 2012
- Kenyan football lovers keep off pubs during Euro final - Jul 02, 2012
- FBI begins probe into Uganda terrorist bombings - Jul 15, 2010
- 'No security concerns for Ireland tour of Kenya' - Jan 24, 2012
- US says backing Kenya's military operation in Somalia - Oct 28, 2011
- Unicef concerned over escalating conflict in Somalia - Nov 16, 2011
- European security experts fear al-Qaeda wings expanded to Uganda - Sep 21, 2010
- British Muslims on jehad trip to Somalia: WikiLeaks - Feb 04, 2011
- Kenya seals border with Somalia - Feb 12, 2012
- England's football World Cup stars under Al-Qaeda threat - Jan 24, 2010
- 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held in Somalia - Jul 15, 2012
- Al Shabaab terrorist jailed for 59 years in Kenya - Sep 21, 2012
- Obama's step grandmother threatened by Al Qaeda - May 13, 2011
- Al Qaeda suspect breaches Olympic area ban five times - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: briton, east african nation, ethiopians, grenade, illegal immigrants, kenyan coast, kenyan police, landmine, nairobi, onslaught, operatives, pakistanis, police commander, police nab, regional police, residential estates, security measures, somalis, terrorism threats, xinhua