Kenyan and Russian win LA marathonMay 26th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, May 26 (Xinhua) Wesley Korir of Kenya and Tatiana Petrova of Russia won the Los Angeles Marathon Monday, with Korir setting a new record in the men’s group for the annual event.
Korir, a student of the University of Louisville broke, from the pack, and passed Petrova about 40 km into the race. His final time was 2:08:23, breaking the old event record by 18 seconds.
Korir said after the race he was singing and praying during the race. His prize package, including a new car, totalled about $189,000.
The elite women started nearly 17 minutes ahead of the men, to provide excitement at the finish line, and Petrova won $100,000.
Petrova finished the race in 2:25:56, the third-best women’s marathon in Los Angeles. She said her primary concern was leading the women’s pack, not beating the man.
About 15,000 people ran this year’s marathon, which was under new ownership after Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt acquired the event’s organising rights in September.
The LA Marathon had always been run in March until this year, when it was shifted to the Memorial Day holiday, the last Monday in May, to avoid interfering with churchgoers in downtown Los Angeles.
However, the race day will move back to a Sunday in March from next year after some runners complained of high temperatures usually in late May.
- Kenyan one-two in Madrid Marathon - Apr 23, 2012
- Mutai, Kabuu squeeze into Kenya's Olympic marathon squad - May 18, 2012
- Kenya's Kipsang to debut in Berlin Marathon - Sep 14, 2012
- Kenyan and Ethiopian runners win Istanbul marathon - Oct 17, 2011
- Kipsang, Keitany win London marathon - Apr 22, 2012
- LA Dodgers file for bankruptcy protection - Jun 28, 2011
- Tsegay favourite to win Delhi Half Marathon - Sep 10, 2012
- Ethiopians rule at Mumbai marathon (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Runner dies during Mexico City marathon - Sep 04, 2012
- Istanbul holds world's only intercontinental marathon - Oct 16, 2011
- Kenyans sweep 10K Run - May 27, 2012
- More than 6,000 join Mawana Sugars Indian Open Marathon - Feb 11, 2012
- Results Of Chicago Marathon 2010 - Oct 11, 2010
- Fauja Singh calls it a day-only for full marathons! - Apr 23, 2012
- Kenyans dominate Nagpur marathon - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: elite women, excitement, finish line, frank mccourt, high temperatures, kenya, la marathon, last monday, los angeles dodgers, los angeles marathon, memorial day, new car, organising, runners, russia, tatiana petrova, time was 2, university of louisville, xinhua