Kenya urges UN to tackle food crisis, Nigerian piracyDecember 1st, 2008 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Dec 1 (Xinhua) Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki has asked the United Nations to mobilise resources to tackle global problems, including high food prices and rampant piracy along the coast of Somalia. A statement from the presidential press service said Kibaki called on the UN to help in coordinating efforts to stabilise global food prices and ensure an efficient movement of food from surplus to deficit nations.
The international community must also address the instability in financial markets, high-energy costs and resultant high food prices through concerted efforts, Kibaki said during a meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon in Doha, Qatar.
The call came as food prices in Kenya threaten to reach crisis proportions.
Kibaki and the UN chief expressed concern at the deteriorating security situation in Somalia.
The Kenyan president asked the UN to support a regional meeting scheduled in Nairobi Dec 9 to discuss piracy, noting that the problem has greatly destabilized the movement of vessels carrying essential supplies to ports along the Indian Ocean.
- Three-day mourning in Kenya after chopper crash - Jun 11, 2012
- Kenya orders probe into poor performance at London Olympics - Aug 22, 2012
- India, UAE to work together to counter piracy - May 18, 2012
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- India ready to help fight piracy in Africa - Feb 28, 2012
- Two Kenyan ministers among six killed in chopper crash (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- UNSC adopts India backed resolution on piracy - Oct 25, 2011
- UNSC calls for comprehensive peace strategy for Somalia - Mar 11, 2011
- Kenya to deploy 4,600 soldiers in Somalia - Mar 13, 2012
- Kenya affected by Somalian piracy, wants Indian cooperation - May 13, 2011
- India concerned over piracy, backs Somalia stability - Feb 24, 2012
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- Kenyan president signs new constitution into law - Aug 27, 2010
- Unicef concerned over escalating conflict in Somalia - Nov 16, 2011
- UAE medical team reaches out to famine victims - Aug 20, 2011