Kennedy’s funeral to be attended by five US presidentsAugust 28th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug. 28 (ANI): The funeral of US Senator Edward Kennedy is expected see five living American presidents in attendance.Barack Obama, and his predecessors George W Bush, Bill Clinton, George HW Bush and Jimmy Carter, will be present at the event on Saturday, Sky News reports.
The brother of assassinated president John F Kennedy died from a cancerous brain tumour on Tuesday. He was 77.
Edward, known as Ted, was part of a political dynasty that has been a major force in America for more than 50 years.
He had been a champion of liberal causes during his 47 years in the Senate.After a family mass in Cape Cod, a motorcade took the Democrat’s body past city landmarks that had sentimental value to him, including a park named after his mother.
Then it was moved to the Boston library he helped found in memory of his late brother.
The late senator, who represented the state of Massachusetts, will lie in public until Friday.
Obama is scheduled to deliver a eulogy at the funeral on Saturday.
The American President said he and his wife Michelle were “heartbroken” when they heard of his death.
Kennedy will then be buried at the Arlington National Cemetery, alongside his brothers, JFK and Senator Robert Kennedy - who was also assassinated. (ANI)
- Obama Set To Deliver Eulogy At Edward Kennedy's Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy eulogised at final farewell - Aug 30, 2009
- Edward Kennedy To Have Boston Funeral - Aug 27, 2009
- Obama to speak at Kennedy funeral; burial at Arlington (Lead) - Aug 27, 2009
- Family gathering in Kennedy's final journey - Aug 28, 2009
- Ted to be inhumed next to brothers - Aug 27, 2009
- Kennedy funeral: Obama to deliver eulogy - Aug 27, 2009
- Ted Kennedy greatest legislature: Obama - Aug 31, 2009
- Edward Kennedy to be buried in Arlington Cemetery Saturday - Aug 27, 2009
- Katie recreates heartbreaking moments as Jackie Kennedy - Aug 18, 2010
- FBI Files Divulge Death Threats On Ted Kennedy - Jun 15, 2010
- Senator Kennedy's Funeral Service On Saturday - Aug 29, 2009
- Senator Edward Kennedy's death ends `historic' US chapter (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2009
- Edward Kennedy, liberal lion, scion of American royalty (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2009
- Ted Kennedy is no more; Reactions galore - Aug 26, 2009
Tags: american presidents, arlington national cemetery, barack obama, boston library, brain tumour, city landmarks, edward kennedy, family mass, george hw bush, george w bush, liberal causes, political dynasty, president john f kennedy, senator edward kennedy, senator robert kennedy, sentimental value, sky news, state of massachusetts, us presidents, wife michelle