Keira Knightley loves reading bleak booksSeptember 17th, 2008 - 12:57 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 16 (IANS) British actress Keira Knightley is a secret bookworm and she loves to read “depressing” accounts of the Holocaust and mass murderers.The star buries her nose in bleak books with every chance she gets and among her favourites are Bernhard Schlink’s Holocaust novel “The Reader”, which she describes as “beautiful” and “Revolutionary Road” by Richard Yates that is the story of a couple struggling with life in 1950s America, reports contactmusic.com.
“(They are) two really depressing books but really good. Not exactly a barrel of laughs. Not exactly happy, but interesting. Really great writing creates such amazing images,” Knightley told USA Today newspaper.
The actress also enjoyed Gitta Sereny’s “Into That Darkness: From Mercy Killing to Mass Murder” - the story of World War II Nazi extermination camp Treblinka and books by legendary war correspondent Martha Gellhorn.
She added: “It’s a compilation of investigative journalism. It’s awful, but the way she writes is wonderful. I just started it. I’d never read any Martha Gellhorn before, and she’s a wonderful writer.”
- Bookworm Keira Knightley only reads depressing books - Sep 17, 2008
- Kidman, Owen star as Hemingway, Gellhorn in new film - Mar 29, 2011
- Kidman has no problem with nudity - Apr 20, 2012
- Drama, innocence & creativity on bookshelf (IANS Books this Week) - Jun 02, 2012
- Best picture Oscar nominees - Feb 20, 2009
- Israeli pageant crowns Miss Holocaust Survivor - Jun 29, 2012
- Graphic Novel On Anne Frank Set To Release - Jul 11, 2010
- German court finds former Nazi guard guilty of 27,900 deaths - May 12, 2011
- Winslets The Reader faces renewed Jewish criticism in the run-up to Oscars - Feb 18, 2009
- Iran launches website to undermine Holocaust - Aug 05, 2010
- India has more English speaking readers than England: Ken Follett (Interview) - Dec 15, 2010
- Opium Wars sparked off Chinese nationalism: Writer Julia Lovell - Aug 01, 2011
- Latest Potter film 'has several new scenes that did not appear in book' - Nov 12, 2010
- "Jersey Shore" Starlet Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi Releases Her Book "A Shore Thing" - Jan 05, 2011
- Hudson struggling to sell weight-loss book - May 31, 2011
Tags: 1950s america, amazing images, barrel of laughs, bernhard schlink, bookworm, british actress, extermination camp treblinka, gitta sereny, holocaust, investigative journalism, keira knightley, martha gellhorn, mass murder, mass murderers, nazi extermination camp, revolutionary road, richard yates, usa today, war correspondent, world war ii