Kazakh cops jailed for attacking protestersMay 29th, 2012 - 6:41 am ICT by IANS
Astana, May 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Five police officers have been sent to jail for their heavy-handed response to a protest by striking oil workers in Kazakhstan last year.
At least 15 people died as police put down a protest by oil workers in the southwest city of Zhanaozen in December 2011, the Novosti-Kazakhstan news agency said.
The five officers were given sentences of between five and seven years.
The Kazakhstan opposition says the real toll was around 70, and that the violence began when riot police attacked the rally with automatic weapons.
Video footage posted by Kazakh human rights activists appears to show police shooting on numerous occasions into fleeing protesters.
Over 100 protesters were injured in the violence. No police officers were hurt.
The European Parliament “strongly condemned the violent crackdown by the police forces”.
Police said the protesters attacked a number of buildings, including the office of the KazMunaiGaz oil company. The protesters are also accused of setting cars on fire and looting shops and banks.
Kazakhstan’s prosecutor general’s office said before the trial that police had generally acted in line with the law during the protests, but that in certain cases, their use of arms and other anti-riot equipment was inappropriate.
- Three Russian journalists detained in Kazakhstan - Dec 19, 2011
- Kazakh journalist stabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Kazakh restive town normal, UN experts invited - Dec 23, 2011
- Indo-Kazakh ties to strengthen with peaceful uses of nuclear energy: PM - Apr 15, 2011
- Suicide bomber targets Kazakh state security building - May 17, 2011
- Kazakhstan launches national superhero contest - May 17, 2012
- India, Kazakhstan sign seven bilateral agreements (update) - Apr 16, 2011
- 10 killed during clashes on Kazakhstan's independence day - Dec 17, 2011
- India, Kazakhstan welcome civil nuclear cooperation agreement - Apr 16, 2011
- 200 kg heroin seized in Kazakhstan - Sep 06, 2012
- Five die as police chase suspect in Kazakhstan - Nov 12, 2011
- Kazakhs in Delhi can vote for Sunday's Kazakhstan polls - Jan 13, 2012
- 11 knifed to death in Kazakhstan - Aug 15, 2012
- Russia, Kazakhstan extend Friendship Treaty for 10 years - Jun 08, 2012
- Parliamentary polls begin in Kazakhstan - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: automatic weapons, european parliament, human rights activists, kazakh, kazakhstan news, news agency, oil company, oil workers, police forces, police officers, police shooting, prosecutor general, protesters, ria novosti, riot equipment, riot police, southwest city, striking oil, video footage, violent crackdown