Kate Roberts swindled out of her savings in a scamJanuary 31st, 2011 - 9:27 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Jan 31 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A British woman has been swindled out of her life savings in an Internet love scam.
Kate Roberts who is a mother of three, told reporters that she decided to bring out her story because she believes it is the only way to prevent the scammers from duping another person.
The 43-year-old was tricked into believing that she was dating an American military widower serving in Iraq. She fell in love with the alleged soldier who sent her, ‘his’ pictures. After a period of chatting over the Internet, the ‘soldier lover’ asked Kate to help him buy himself out of the US military.
Kate told reporters she believed him and started sending out various sums to him. In total, she believes that she sent about £80,000 to the soldier. After the payments which were mainly done through Western Union and direct bank deposits, the supposed soldier vanished and Kate had no means of contacting him.
When she went to the American embassy for information on the said soldier with the pictures that he sent her, she was told she may be a victim of Internet fraud. When the mobile phone number that she used to call and chat with the soldier was checked, it came out that the number is from Nigeria.
- Nigerian held for duping woman of Rs.6.5 lakh - Nov 18, 2010
- Kate will wear ghost of Diana on hand: Ex-butler - Apr 26, 2011
- Fake calls dupe US citizens for WikiLeaks access - Jan 21, 2011
- Hudson, the make-up artist - Jun 29, 2012
- Kate Winslet Has A New Man In Her Life - Jan 03, 2011
- Hilton's 50 pounds treat for stray dog - Nov 16, 2011
- Prince William, Kate Middleton Make First Public Appearance After Announcing Engagement - Dec 20, 2010
- Hopes to retrieve George Cross from Britain dashed - Feb 04, 2012
- Hong Kong woman paid fake Taoist master with sex, cash - Jan 29, 2010
- Snoop Dogg to perform at Kate Moss's wedding - May 23, 2011
- Punjab NRI panel asks police to trace runaway husband - May 16, 2012
- Taylor Swift To Interact With Fans Via Live Chat On Tuesday - Jul 19, 2010
- Nigerian held for duping engineer of Rs.15 lakh - Nov 16, 2011
- Adele's dad begs for forgiveness - Jul 16, 2012
- Probe into duping of aspiring Haj pilgrims - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: american embassy, british woman, direct bank deposits, internet fraud, iraq, kate roberts, london jan, love, mobile phone number, nigeria, scammers, soldier, sums, us military, western union, widower