Kat-Will’s wedding cake choice creates stir in fashionable baking quartersMarch 28th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 28 (ANI): A day after the wedding cake designs were revealed, Prince William and Kate Middleton’s choice are now causing a stir in fashionable baking quarters.
The couple have opted for a multi-tiered fruitcake for the wedding breakfast, decorated with symbolic flowers.
Leicestershire-based Fiona Cairns will bake the design, in which Middleton is said to have taken a keen interest.
However, rival cake makers were a bit sniffy, reports the Independent.
“I’m surprised they’ve chosen someone who designs cakes for a supermarket and brides don’t tend to go for fruit these days,” said one.
According to Cakes By Kerry owner Kerry Kirchin, whose elaborate design appeared in an episode of the Channel 4 show My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, modern brides are more likely to go for chocolate and glitter.
“It’s certainly something different. Fruit cakes aren’t popular nowadays like they used to be. At the moment, cup cakes are all the craze,” she said.
Prince William’s choice was for an alternative treat, a chocolate biscuit cake made by McVitie’s.
“They are very popular, but it’s a bit funny,” said Ms Kirchin.
However, Jo Hall, of online wedding directory Catering 4 Weddings, thought the fruitcake design was in line with current trends.
“They are opting for a traditional, simple, elegant cake, with a feminine design. Fruitcakes are definitely back in again. They’re becoming very popular. We’re moving away from cup cakes and chocolate cakes,” she said.
“Traditionally it’s a fruitcake for a wedding - they wouldn’t be able to send a soft sponge or chocolate cake to the different parts of the Commonwealth,” said award-winning cake maker Ken Slatter, of the Cake Company, who supplied royal garden parties for 30 years. (ANI)
- Wills-Kat wedding cake designs revealed - Mar 27, 2011
- Kat-Will's wedding cake designs revealed - Mar 27, 2011
- Icing on the cake - the India connect at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- William's wedding to have chocolate biscuit cake - Mar 27, 2011
- Kim Kardashian wants a royal wedding - Aug 05, 2011
- Phillipa Lepley To Design Kate Middleton's Royal Wedding Gown? - Nov 20, 2010
- Kate Middleton shops for groceries - May 06, 2011
- Ultimo boss Michelle Mone 'designs Kate Middleton's bridal lingerie' - Nov 26, 2010
- Dame Helen Mirren wants Wills-Kat to perform second 'private' wedding - Apr 25, 2011
- Prince William avoids Royals for lunch with Kate Middleton's family - Apr 25, 2011
- Anna Hathaway spoofs Kate Middleton on SNL - Nov 22, 2010
- Was Kate's wedding gown inspired by Grace Kelly's nuptial dress? - Apr 30, 2011
- Will pricey cakes eat into Christmas festivities? - Dec 23, 2011
- Chinese brides-to-be eye Kate's wedding gown - May 04, 2011
- Like Prince William, Kate Middleton too opts for low-key hen night - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,