Karun will have his first-ever front-row startMarch 21st, 2008 - 6:47 pm ICT by admin
By Anand Philar
Kuala Lumpur, March 21 (IANS) Karun Chandhok, the 24-year old from Chennai, secured his first-ever front row position as he qualified second for the GP2 Asia series race to be run here Sunday. Clocking one minute, 44.965 seconds, Karun, driving for Team iSport International, was the second quickest behind pole setter Frenchman Romain Grosjean (ART Grand Prix) who came in with a 1:44.182.
However, the second Indian in the fray, 18-year old Armaan Ebrahim, also from Chennai, qualified 26th and last, over three seconds off the pace in his David Price Racing team car.
Karun started his flying lap with just 15 seconds of the 30-minute qualifying session left. He had a fairly clean run up until the third second when he encountered some traffic and lost precious fractions.
“I was stuck in traffic throughout the session and with 15 seconds left, I was on P4 when my team came on the radio asking me to have a crack. I had a fairly good run then until I came across Luca Filippi (Qi-Meritus) in the third sector. I lost a bit of time getting past him,” Karun recalled.
Karun had started the second race in the season-opener at Dubai last month, but that was due to the grid being reversed after the first run when he finished seventh.
“To qualify second on a Grand Prix weekend is just amazing for me. I feel quite positive going into the race tomorrow.
“This morning, we had done the practice session on race set up with 45 kg of fuel. I was fifth quickest then, but in the qualifying, it was a different story,” he said, after the qualifying session.
- Karun's hopes of Indian GP still hang in balance - Oct 23, 2011
- Red Bull's Webber earn gearbox penalty - Jul 21, 2012
- Motorsports: Karun and team in top 10 - Aug 25, 2012
- Karun's team 11th quickest at Le Mans - Jun 14, 2012
- Karun qualifies 21st for German GP - Jul 24, 2011
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Nicole back in McLaren paddock - Mar 17, 2012
- Painful to watch race from sidelines: Karun Chandhok - Oct 25, 2011
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- World Endurance: Karun and team qualify eighth (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
- Chandhok confirmed for F1 - Mar 04, 2010
- A stray dogs inaugural Indian GP practice run - Oct 28, 2011
- Khushlani finishes impressive sixth in JK Racing Asia Series - Oct 29, 2011
- JRM team, Karun hoping for good result at Le Mans - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: anand, asia series, david price, different story, fractions, frenchman, front row, gp2, grand prix, grosjean, kuala lumpur, march 21, meritus, p4, practice session, race tomorrow, row position, season opener, team car, third sector