Karthik to replace injured Sehwag in World Twenty20 (Lead)June 9th, 2009 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 9 (IANS) Wicketkeeper-bastman Dinesh Karthik will replace injured opener Virender Sehwag in the Indian squad for the ongoing World Twenty20, it was announced here Tuesday.
Sehwag Tuesday was ruled out of the tournament due to a shoulder injury and will return home after consulting medical experts here.
“The selection committee has picked Dinesh Karthik as a replacement for Virender Sehwag for the World Twenty20,” Indian cricket board secretary N. Srinivasan said in a statement.
Karthik, who plays for the Sehwag-led Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League (IPL), had a good stint in the tournament that was held in South Africa.
Sehwag did not play in any of the two warm-up matches and the first league game against Bangladesh in the World Twenty20. He was carrying the shoulder injury for long as he had missed quite a few IPL matches as well.
- Sehwag to undergo shoulder surgery, skip West Indies tour - May 09, 2011
- Sehwag out of Twenty20 World cup with shoulder injury (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Daredevils aim to again top the table (Preview) - May 09, 2012
- Daredevils opt to field against Mumbai Indians - Apr 16, 2012
- Mumbai Indians opt to field against Daredevils - Apr 27, 2012
- Mahela to lead Daredevils in T20 Champions League - Sep 14, 2012
- Daredevils elect to bat against Knight Riders - Mar 29, 2010
- Daredevils opt to bat against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 29, 2012
- Daredevils score 152/6 against Rajsthan Royals - Apr 29, 2012
- Series against India will be highly competitive: Warner - Dec 13, 2011
- No problem batting in any position: Naman Ojha - Apr 28, 2012
- Daredevils to bat against Rajasthan Royals - Apr 12, 2011
- Daredevils trounce Royals by six wickets - May 02, 2012
- Sehwag out of ODI series with sore shoulder - Dec 30, 2010
- Tendulkar inspired Umesh to work on a new delivery (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: bangladesh, board secretary, daredevils, dinesh karthik, indian cricket board, ipl, league game, london, medical experts, premier league, selection committee, shoulder injury, south africa, srinivasan, stint