Karachi Police arrest fake army generalJanuary 20th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 20 (IANS) A Pakistani man who grabbed land and solicited favours from officials by posing as an army general for three years has been arrested in Karachi, a media report said Friday.
Police said Maqsood Shah, 52, is the brother of a retired army colonel living abroad. He was arrested Thursday after an official tipped off the police.
He was on his way to clinch an illegal land transfer deal and was wearing an army uniform when he was detained, Geo TV reported.
Police seized an AK-47 rifle and a Blackberry phone from his house.
Shah used to call provincial ministers pretending to be a general to solicit “undue favours”. He faces a maximum of five years in prison if found guilty of fraud.
- Suspected arms dealers nabbed in Assam - Apr 28, 2012
- Karachi killing: Top Pakistani officer removed - Jun 14, 2011
- Kayani in Karachi to assess situation - Aug 25, 2011
- Karachi park killing case taken up by Pakistan apex court - Jun 10, 2011
- One dead in DTC bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- 39 held in Karachi for various crimes - Jul 21, 2012
- Karachi killing: Apex court orders removal of top officials (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- J-K MLA placed under house arrest for defying prohibitory orders - Jun 07, 2010
- Military action in Karachi not long term solution: Gilani - Aug 22, 2011
- Karachi situation is challenge for government: Gilani - Aug 28, 2011
- Army colonel in dock over cash, pistol in luggage - Oct 10, 2011
- DMK's top brass face land grab charge - Dec 02, 2011
- Pakistan Army ready to restore peace in Karachi: Kayani - Aug 21, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel slams staged shootouts - Jul 19, 2012
- Pakistani who killed 40 arrested - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,