Kal Penn’s movie opens at No. 2 in USApril 29th, 2008 - 11:07 am ICT by admin
New York, April 28 (IANS) Indian American actor Kal Penn has got the hit he was waiting for with “Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay” grossing $14.6 million at the US box office in its opening weekend, just behind another comedy, “Baby Mama”. “Guantanamo Bay” cost just about $12 million to make and is expected to do $40 million business, according to Dan Fellman, Warner Bros.’ president of theatrical distribution.
The sequel to a much tamer “Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle”, which was released in 2004 tries to generate laughter out of incendiary subjects like terrorism and racial profiling.
In the goofie comedy, Penn stars again as Kumar Patel, a second generation Indian American medical student, while John Cho is Harold Lee, a Korean American in his first job as investment banker. The duo try to outrun authorities who suspect them of being terrorists after the joint they sneak aboard a plane is thought to be a bomb.
Kal Penn - the screen name he extracted from his real name Kalpen Modi to avoid getting stereotypical roles - was born in New Jersey. After starring in Mira Nair’s acclaimed “The Namesake” (2007), he has started getting meatier roles in TV and movies.
The success of “Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay” is expected to further his career in Hollywood. He, however, quipped on the “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” show recently that people have started calling him Kumar, a common middle name in India.
Penn, a visiting lecturer in Asian American Studies at the University of Pennsylvania this spring, has also been making headlines for publicly backing US presidential hopeful Barack Obama.
- Kal Penn returns to White House - Nov 17, 2010
- Kal Penn returning to TV - Aug 04, 2011
- 'Harold and Kumar 3' filming likely to begin in June - Mar 16, 2010
- Kal Penn robbed at gunpoint - Apr 21, 2010
- Kal Penn will now be Kalpen Modi at the White House - Jul 07, 2009
- Filming Of "Harold & Kumar 3" Likely To Begin In June - Mar 16, 2010
- Kal Penn robbed at gunpoint in Washington D.C. - Apr 21, 2010
- Indian origin Kal Pen re-joins White House job after filming 'Harold & Kumar' sequel - Nov 16, 2010
- Indian American actor Kal Penn to host Obama nomination meet - Sep 04, 2012
- Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle: Burger And Laughter - Jun 28, 2009
- Indian-origin stars Kal Penn, Aasif Mandvi, Pooja Kumar hit Hollywood gold - Nov 23, 2009
- Kal Penn, 'The Namesake' star, to join White House - Apr 08, 2009
- Obama campaign reaches out to Indian Americans (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Obama campaign reaches out to Indian Americans - Feb 24, 2012
- Indian American actor Penn gets a job in the White House - Apr 08, 2009
Tags: american actor, american medical student, asian american studies, baby mama, barack obama, conan o brien, first job, guantanamo bay, harold and kumar go to white castle, investment banker, john cho, kal penn, korean american, kumar go to white castle, kumar patel, late night with conan, late night with conan o brien, mira nair, stereotypical roles, theatrical distribution