Jwala, Diju lose in Indian Open finalMarch 29th, 2009 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 29 (IANS) India’s mixed doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Diju Valiyaveetil faltered in the finals, going down to Indonesian Flandy Limpele and Vita Marissa in the $120,000-dollar Indian Open badminton here Sunday.
The second seed Indian pair lost 14-21, 17-21 against the third seed Indonesian before a packed Gachibowli Indoor Stadium here.
Jwala and Diju notched up some good performances last year and made it to their first-ever Grand Prix Gold final here.
Jwala said they were happy with their performance.
“We were catching up in the entire match. This was our first tournament of the season and we made it to the final, so we are satisfied with the show,” Gutta said.
The men’s and women’s singles title went to Indonesian Taufik Hidayat and Pi Hongyan of France respectively.
Second seed Taufiq, a former Olympic champion, beat Muhammad Hafiz Hashim of Malaysia 21-18, 21-19 in just 30 minutes.
The 27-year-old Taufiq earned his seventh successive victory over Hashim, who is a former All-England champion.
“It is good to win, but I don’t think I played a very good game,” said Hidayat.
“It was difficult on the court because there seemed to be a bit of drift in the air. But I was able to keep the pressure on Hashim.”
In women’s singles, France’s World No.4 Pi came from behind to win 17-21, 21-15, 21-14 against Malaysian Julia Pei Xian Wong in 55 minutes.
This was Pi’s first title since her Singapore Open victory in 2006.
“Winning here was very satisfying. Julia was tough opponent and she really surprised me today,” Pi said.
In men’s doubles final, top seed Malaysian Tan Fook Choong and Wan Wah Lee beat Hendri Kurniawan Saputra and Hendra Wijaya of Singapore 21-9, 21-11.
The women’s doubles title went to Chinese Jin Ma and Xiaoli Wang, who got the better of Indonesian Vita Marissa and Nadya Melati 21-14, 21-13.
- World Badminton: Jwala, Ashwini storm into semis, Saina exits (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Saina top seed in India Super Series badminton - Apr 09, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina, Kashyap give India reasons to smile (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Olympic: Kashyap gives India winning start; Jwala-Diju lose (Second lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Badminton Asia: Saina, Aditi in women's singles quarters (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim (Lead, adding results) - Jun 11, 2010
- Saina, Kashyap shine on a gloomy day for India at Badminton Asian (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- Olympic Badminton: Jwala, Diju lose opener (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics badminton: Jwala-Diju suffer second straight defeat - Jul 29, 2012
- Saina wins her second Group match at Super Series Masters - Dec 03, 2009
- Korea Open: Saina advances to quarters - Jan 05, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap shines on a mixed day for Indian badminton (Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: england champion, entire match, fook, good game, gutta, indian pair, marissa, melati, mixed doubles, muhammad hafiz hashim, nadya, olympic champion, open victory, pei xian, pi hongyan, singapore 21, singles title, taufik hidayat, wijaya, xiaoli