Juventus crash at Genoa after Inter Milan home drawApril 12th, 2009 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, April 12 (DPA) Juventus had Mauro Camoranesi dismissed as they lost 2-3 against Genoa and missed a chance to close in on Serie A leaders Inter Milan ahead of next weekend classic tie in Turin.
With seven games remaining, Inter are now 10 points ahead of Juventus, after being held earlier Saturday to a 2-2 home draw against guests Palermo, who came from behind as Edison Cavani and Davide Succi levelled goals from Mario Balotelli and league top striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Genoa’s aggressive midfield tactics overwhelmed Juve and gave the hosts a 29th-minute lead when Brazilian Thiago Motta fired home a loose ball from the limit of the box.
A spot kick in the 45th minute gave Alessandro Del Piero a chance to equalise, but Motta scored again with a majestic header shortly before the break.
Juve’s equalizing efforts lost steam on 65 minutes with the dismissal of Camoranesi for a foul on Giuseppe Sculli, who later on had a close-range header saved before Bosko Jankovic nodded against the post.
A desperate pressing allowed Juve to level through Vincenzo Iaquinta’s close-range lob past Robinho with seven minutes to go, but Raffaele Palladino put Genoa back in the lead four minutes later.
At Milan’s Giuseppe Meazza, Balotelli’s 15th-minute header was followed by Ibra’s spot kick conversion for a comfortable two-goal lead at the break.
The Swede scored his 20th goal to move one clear of Bologna’s Marco Di Vaio, but Jose Mourinho’s side had a rough second half and had to settle for their fifth draw in 16 unbeaten home games.
In the 73rd minute, the in-form Uruguayan Cavani, now on 12 goals, stormed on the right flank to beat Francesco Toldo, who was filling in for the injured Brazilian Julio Cesar.
Three minutes later Succi equalized from-close range off a cross from the inspired Fabrizio Miccoli.
In Rome, a 10-man Lazio won 4-2 in a pulsating city derby against nine-man Roma. Lazio, took an early two-goal lead that they retained to the end of the game despite a vehement reaction from Roma.
Fiorentina prevailed 2-1 over 10-man Cagliari, but remained behind Genoa in the race for the last available Champions League berth.
AC Milan remained third after a 1-0 win away to Chievo, Sampdoria won 3-1 at struggling Lecce, Siena crushed 4-1 lowly hosts Bologna, Napoli and Atalanta drew 0-0, Torino edged guests Catania 2-1.
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Ronaldinho hat-trick sees AC Milan close in on Inter - Jan 18, 2010
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Catania send giants Juventus to second straight defeat - Dec 21, 2009
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- AC Milan only chasers of Inter Milan after win at Juventus - Jan 11, 2010
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Inter Milan rally against Juventus to clinch Italian Cup semi - Jan 29, 2010
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Juventus hammer Sampdoria, move into second place in Serie A - Oct 29, 2009
- Juventus crash at Palermo, lose chance to go top - Oct 05, 2009
- Juventus held by Genoa in Serie A - Sep 25, 2009
- Fabregas grabs 1-1 draw for Spain against Italy - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: alessandro del piero, camoranesi, close range, edison cavani, fabrizio miccoli, francesco toldo, genoa, giuseppe meazza, giuseppe sculli, inter milan, jankovic, jose mourinho, julio cesar, loose ball, marco di vaio, minute header, move one, robinho, seven games, vincenzo iaquinta