Juve beat Real again as Giggs leaves it late for United

November 6th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS  

Bayern MunichHamburg, Nov 5 (DPA) A brace from Alessandro Del Piero helped Juventus beat Real Madrid for the second game in succession in the Champions League while a late strike from from Ryan Giggs helped Manchester United salvage a draw away to Celtic.Celtic took an early lead Wednesday against the defending champions through Scott McDonald but despite relentless pressure from United, the equalizer only came six minute from time when Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc could only parry a Cristiano Ronaldo shot into the path of Giggs.

Despite the draw Alex Ferguson’s side remain top of Group E level on eight points with Villarreal as the Spanish side could only manage a 2-2 draw away to Danish side Aalborg.

Juventus continued their excellent record against Real Madrid, following up on the 2-1 victory against the Spanish champions in Turin with a 2-0 win at the Bernabeu to register a fifth win in 12 years against their opponents in European competition.

Madrid dominated the opening stages but fell behind in the 17 minute to an Alessandro Del Piero strike from outside the area after Guti gave away possession cheaply to Marco Marchionni.

Del Piero secured the three points with his second of the game and the veteran striker’s fourth of Juve’s Champions League campaign midway through the second half with a superb free kick that gave Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas no chance.

The result sees Juve remain top of Group H with 10 points followed by Madrid on six, two clear of UEFA Cup winners Zenit St Petersburg, who kept their hopes of progressing alive with a 2-0 win away to BATE Borisov.

Pavel Pogrebniak put the Russians in front after 34 minutes. Although Zenit had to play the last 17 minutes with 10 men after Sebastien Puygrenier was dismissed for a second bookable offence they still managed to score again through Miguel Danny.

Bayern Munich needed a goal from Tim Borowski against Fiorentina to ensure Jurgen Klinsmann’s side maintained their unbeaten record in this year’s competition.

Adrian Mutu put the Italians in front after 11 minutes but German international Borowski levelled matters 12 minutes from time.

The draw means Bayern are joined at the top of Group F on eight points by Olympique Lyon, who beat Steaua Bucharest 2-0 thanks to goals from Juninho and Anthony Reveillere.

“We weren’t brave enough in the first half but when you go into a game looking not to lose a 1-1 draw is okay,” said Bayern striker Miroslav Klose, who missed a great opportunity to win the game 10 minute from time.

Arsenal remain top of Group G with eight points despite only managing a scoreless draw at home to Fenerbahce Istanbul. Porto moved second on six points thanks to a 2-1 win away to Dynamo Kiev.

Lucho Gonzalez scored Porto’s second but was sent off after receiving a yellow card for taking off his shirt.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |