‘Judaism’ most popular religion in the USDecember 25th, 2010 - 4:46 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Dec 25 (ANI): A new study has revealed that the most popular faith in the US is Judaism.
Sociologists Robert D. Putnam and David E. Campbell write in their new book ‘American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us’ about the study they conducted amongst 3,000 ordinary Americans to rank religions.
“Most surprisingly, the most popular religion in America are Jews among non-Jews, followed closely by Catholics. Fifty years ago, or 100 years ago, that almost certainly would not have been true,” the Jerusalem Post quoted Putnam as saying.
Americans were a deeply religious people - more so on average than in Iran, he said.
But why Judaism?
“There was a lot of anti-Semitism in America during the 1930s and 1940s. It was not as high as Europe but a high level of anti-Semitism in America. If you look at the trend data year by year by the same measure that the Gallop poll has been doing, for 70 years now there was a very, very sharp drop in expressed anti-Semitism in 1946,” he said.
“That was the revelation of the Holocaust, and the revelation of the Holocaust had the effect of completely delegitimizing anti-Semitism in America. It became much, much harder to say anti-Semitic things in public,” Putnam said.
“So the next generation were less anti-Semitic and the process continued. So all the anti-Semitic stereotypes in America, the Shylocks and Christ-killers, all that kind of stuff disappeared from public culture and then private culture,” he said.
Asked if he felt proud of his findings, being a member of the tribe, Putnam responded, “Not pride so much as satisfaction because I think that despite our problems, they are different than those our predecessors had 50 or 60 years ago, and I worry a little bit that if we continue to think that our worst problem is how non-Jews feel about us, that detracts from serious problems we as a community have.” (ANI)
- Anti-Semetism at an all time low of 12 percent amongst Americans - Oct 30, 2009
- Iran launches website to undermine Holocaust - Aug 05, 2010
- 'Ground Zero mosque' imam's wife slams US for discriminating against Muslims like Jews - Aug 24, 2010
- Glenn Beck Under Fire For His 'Insensitive Observations' On The Billionaire, George Soros, And The Holocaust - Nov 14, 2010
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- 'Gurdwara shooter was a neo-Nazi' - Aug 10, 2012
- Vatican promises to open wartime archives - May 26, 2010
- Eva Green worried about designer John Galliano - Jun 08, 2011
- Brit fashion designer John Galliano filmed saying 'I love Hitler' - Mar 01, 2011
- Israel President denies calling British 'anti-Semites' - Aug 02, 2010
- Document provides proof of French Nazi leader's anti-Semitism: Expert - Oct 04, 2010
- Dita Von Teese victim of Anti-Semitism - Aug 31, 2010
- Holocaust Museum Demands That Romania Scrap New Racist Coin - Aug 03, 2010
- Leonardo DiCaprio to become Jewish for girlfriend? - Dec 06, 2010
- Mel Gibson abuses girlfriend in a tape - Jul 11, 2010
Tags: 1940s, anti semitism in america, christ killers, dec 25, e campbell, fifty years, gallop poll, holocaust, jerusalem post, judaism, member of the tribe, predecessors, public culture, religion in america, religion in the us, robert d putnam, shylocks, sociologists, stereotypes in america, trend data