Journalist killed in PakistanApril 20th, 2012 - 2:10 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 20 (IANS) A senior journalist of Pakistan’s Dawn newspaper was found murdered in a house in Karachi Thursday, police said.
Murtaza Razvi’s body was found in an apartment in the Defence Housing Authority area.
He had apparently been strangled to death. His hands were tied and his body bore torture marks, police said.
Razvi was a senior assistant editor and head of magazines at Dawn, the newspaper reported on its website.
His family said he did not have any personal enmity with anyone. They requested the media not to speculate until police apprehends his killer.
Razvi is survived by his widow and three daughters.
Last year, seven Pakistani journalists were killed, bringing the total to 29 in the last five years in the country, said media rights group Committee to Protect Journalists.
Saleem Shahzad, who was southeast Asia’s bureau chief for Asia Times Online and also worked for Italy’s AKI news agency, was found dead following his disappearance from Islamabad in May last year. His death had drawn worldwide atttention.
The 40-year-old’s body with signs of torture was recovered two days later 150 km from Islamabad.
- Journalist shot dead in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist is dead, says media (Second Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured, killed: Official (Night Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Slain Pakistani reporter to be honoured in US - May 10, 2012
- Seven Pakistani scribes killed in 2011; 29 in fivc years - Dec 21, 2011
- `Pakistani journalist's killers wanted to set an example' - Jun 04, 2011
- Pakistan appoints official to probe journalist's death - Jun 14, 2011
- Journalist's killing may be due to personal enmity: Malik - Jun 01, 2011
- Shahzad killing: Media organisation chief criticises ISI - Jun 03, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan dangerous for journalists: Daily - May 04, 2012
- ISI left out in Pakistani journalist's killing report: HRW - Jan 30, 2012
- Tolerance of extremists detrimental to Pakistan: Daily - Jan 19, 2012
- Family waits for report on Pakistani journalist's killing - Nov 30, 2011
- Shahzad's widow to collect journalism prize - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: aki, apartment, asia times, bureau chief, committee to protect journalists, dawn, defence housing authority, disappearance, enmity, group committee, journalist, magazines, news agency, pakistan islamabad, pakistani journalists, shahzad, signs, southeast asia, three daughters, torture