Johors Religious Department urges Muslims to boycott Valentines DayFebruary 6th, 2009 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
Johor Baru, Feb. 6 (ANI): The religious Department in Malaysia’’s Johar state has reminded Muslims that St. Valentine’’s Day was haram (prohibited) in Islam.
The fatwa had been declared in 2005 but the warning was the department’’s yearly reminder to Muslims not to engage in un-Islamic activities, said M. Tahrir Samsudin, director of Johors Religious Department.
The new Strait Times quoted him as saying that such celebrations involved elements of vice and violated Islamic faith and values.
He also said that the Christian elements found in the celebration did not correspond with Islamic practices. (ANI)
- Valentine's Day not Christian fest: Malaysian churches - Feb 11, 2011
- Over 80 Muslims arrested for celebrating Valentine's Day in Malaysia - Feb 16, 2011
- Valentine's Day not appropriate for Muslims: Malaysian DPM - Feb 13, 2011
- Malay Muslim clerics firm on ban on Christian-rooted poco-poco dance - Apr 24, 2011
- Seminary asks Muslims to avoid ostentation on Mawlid - Feb 03, 2012
- Malaysia bans Christian-rooted 'poco-poco' dance for being 'haram for Muslims' - Apr 02, 2011
- Now, Pak religious scholars declare praying behind terror endorsing imams "haram" - Dec 16, 2009
- Lakhs of students participate in Surya Namaskar in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 12, 2012
- Malaysia's 'Love Joint' satiates couples' lunch hour lust! - Feb 24, 2010
- Horror films in Malaysia irk Islamic scholars - Jan 10, 2011
- Pak religious leaders declare suicide attacks 'haram' - Dec 14, 2009
- Up to Malaysias rulers to accept yoga ruling - Nov 26, 2008
- Fatwa body tells Malay Muslims to find alternative to yoga - Nov 24, 2008
- Over 100 killed in Nigerian church attacks : UN - Jun 23, 2012
- Malaysian PM counsels calm on `Christian takeover' reports - May 09, 2011
Tags: celebration, celebrations, christian elements, fatwa, islam, islamic activities, islamic faith, islamic practices, johar, muslims, new strait times, religious department, reminder, st valentine, valentine s day