John Paul II beatified (Lead)May 1st, 2011 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 1 (IANS) Pope Benedict XVI beatified John Paul II Sunday before a large crowd that congregated in St. Peter’s Square and surrounding streets of Rome, taking the late pontiff one step closer to sainthood, RIA Novosti reported.
Beatification, or declaring a person to be “blessed”, is the necessary prelude to full sainthood. The Vatican must declare the person to have performed a miracle for this to take place.
Shortly after the start of the Mass that had drawn over one million people, Benedict pronounced that from now on John Paul could be called “Blessed”.
John Paul II, the predecessor of Pope Benedict XVI, died April 2, 2005, at the age of 84. He was the second-longest documented pontiff, who headed the Catholic Church for 26 years.
Among those at the Vatican’s St Peter’s Square was French nun Marie Simon-Pierre, who claims she was cured of Parkinson’s disease. Her apparent miraculous cure is part of the case for the beatification, the last stage before sainthood, BBC reported.
St. Peter’s Square, in the Vatican, was packed, with the faithful waving banners and flags as Pope Benedict XVI declared his predecessor blessed, or beatified.
Rome didn’t witness crowds of this size since the death of Pope John Paul II six years ago when about three million pilgrims gathered in the Italian capital, the report added.
A special Thanksgiving mass will be celebrated in Saint Peter’s Square on the morning of May 2.
- John Paul II beatification ceremony begins - May 01, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's beatification gathers 1.5 million people - May 02, 2011
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- John Paul II's beatification may draw a million pilgrims to Rome - Apr 28, 2011
- Vatican warns pilgrims of ticket scams ahead of John Paul II beatification - Apr 11, 2011
- Monument of John Paul II unveiled in Moscow - Oct 15, 2011
- Mugabe to attend John Paul II's beatification ceremony despite travel ban - Apr 29, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's sainthood delayed amid doubts over prerequisite miracle? - Mar 06, 2010
- Pope John Paul II's blood to go on display - Apr 27, 2011
- Late Pope John Paul II on fast track to get sainthood - Dec 19, 2009
- Vatican defends wartime pope's beatification - Dec 24, 2009
- Christmas 'midnight' mass to be held earlier: Vatican - Dec 08, 2009
- 'Humanity' not random product of evolution, but God's work: Pope - Apr 25, 2011
- French nun credits late Pope John Paul with giving her 'second birth' - Jan 18, 2011
- Vatican to unveil Facebook page for Pope John Paul II this week - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: beatification, beatified, benedict xvi, blessed john, death of pope john paul ii, italian capital, john paul ii, large crowd, marie simon, miraculous cure, necessary prelude, pontiff, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, pope john paul, pope john paul ii, saint peter, sainthood, simon pierre, streets of rome