Joe Hussain, father of ex-England skipper Nasser, diesApril 28th, 2008 - 3:52 pm ICT by admin
London, April 28 (IANS) Jawad Hussain, a former Ranji Trophy cricketer who gave England its first Indian-born cricket captain, has died. Jawad - better known as Joe - Hussain, whose Chennai-born son Nasser captained England from 1999 to 2003, passed away Saturday after a long illness.
A passionate cricketer, Joe Hussain was a popular coach of several county players in the town of Ilford.
He is credited with developing the talents of not only Nasser - one of England’s most successful recent captains - but also England players Ravi Bopara, James Foster and Varun Chopra.
Joe Hussain played only one first-class match, for the erstwhile Madras side against Andhra Pradesh in the 1964-65 Ranji Trophy - a game that Madras won.
Hussain was born in Chennai, but described himself as 70 percent Chennai and 30 percent Bangalorean because his mother came from Karnataka.
After finishing a science degree from Loyola College in Chennai, he migrated to England in 1963 where he met and married his English wife Patricia.
He returned to Chennai two years later where Nasser was born in 1968.
“We were a cricket mad family,” Joe Hussain said some years ago. “I used to play for the Madras Cricket Club. I used to play all my cricket there.”
The family returned to England in 1975, where Hussain ran his successful indoor cricket school.
- Wadekar to be honoured with C.K.Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award - Nov 22, 2011
- England takes on Hyderabad XI in warm-up match Saturday - Oct 07, 2011
- ICC approves Morgan as Pietersen's replacement - Mar 08, 2011
- Rajasthan Royals signs four players from Ranji squad - Jan 12, 2011
- Panesar, Davies return to England squad - Dec 09, 2011
- Ravi Bopara can become something special: Tendulkar - Jun 14, 2009
- Zaheer's injury, a sign of excess cricket, say ex-skippers (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Mithun replaces Praveen in Test squad for Australia tour - Dec 06, 2011
- Now GCA president Narvekar accused of rigging pitch in Ranji match - Nov 17, 2011
- Dravid named for Polly Umrigar best cricketer award - Nov 23, 2011
- Eoin Morgan second Irishman to lead England - Aug 20, 2011
- Flower, Strauss owe England's success to Fletcher - Aug 14, 2011
- Dhoni exhorts his team to play consistent cricket - Dec 25, 2010
- Nasser Husain's 'donkey' remark upsets Big B (Movie snippets) - Sep 04, 2011
- Indian, Lankan cricketers pay homage to late Lankan star C.I. Gunasekara - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: captained england, chopra, cricket captain, cricket club, cricketer, england players, england skipper, english wife, hussain, indoor cricket, jawad, karnataka, mad family, match, nasser, ranji trophy, science degree, talents, varun, wife patricia