Jitender, Akhil advance to pre-quarters (Lead)August 12th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 12 (IANS) Pugilists Jitender Kumar and Akhil Kumar kept the Indian flag flying as they advanced to the pre-quarterfinals of the boxing competitions in the 29th Olympic Games here Tuesday. Jitender Kumar prevailed over Turkey’s Ulas Furkan Memis to move into the last 16 in the flyweight category (51 kg) at the Workers Gymnasium. Jitender was leading 12-3 when Memis retired in the third round.
Jitender’s blows were too much for the Turk and the Indian opened up a huge 5-0 lead after the first round and by the second round he was up 9-2. South African referee Armando Carbonell had to stop the bout in the third round after Memis was totally exhausted.
Akhil Kumar advanced after he defeated Frenchman Ali Hallab in the bantam weight category (54kg). The Commonwealth Games gold medallist defeated Hallab 12-5 amidst huge support.
Akhil hardly showed any defensive tactics and rained punches on his opponent right from the word go. The Indian kept on running round the ring to exhaust the Frenchman and took a massive 8-3 lead after the second round and raced on to clinch the bout easily.
- Akhil, Jitender outpunch rivals, enter prequarters (Boxing, second lead) - Aug 12, 2008
- Beijing Olympics: Boxer Jitender advances to prequarterfinal in flyweight bout - Aug 12, 2008
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Boxer Akhil moves to second round in Olympics - Aug 12, 2008
- Boxers Vijender, Dinesh start their campaign Saturday - Aug 08, 2008
- Paes, Bhupathi raise hope after Rathore misfires (India, second Lead) - Aug 12, 2008
- First round bye for Vijender and Suranjoy in CWG boxing - Oct 05, 2010
- Manoj in second round of World Boxing championships - Sep 30, 2011
- Santosh, Jitender win bronze in Kazakh boxing meet - May 14, 2011
- Nine Indian boxers in Asian Confederation Boxing - Aug 07, 2011
- CWG Boxing: India win three gold (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2010
- Jai Bhagwan in second round of World Boxing - Sep 03, 2009
- Asian Boxing: Pinki, Sonia, Sarita in semifinals - Mar 21, 2012
- Amandeep, Jai Bhagwan march to semis, Akhil lose - Mar 14, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: akhil kumar, ali hallab, armando, bantam weight, beijing, carbonell, commonwealth games gold, defensive tactics, frenchman, furkan, gymnasium, indian flag, jitender kumar, olympic games, pugilists, punches, quarterfinals, referee, ulas, weight category