Jindal will call Obama’’s recession-related package irresponsibleFebruary 25th, 2009 - 3:19 pm ICT by ANI
Louisiana (US), Feb.25 (ANI): Louisianas Indian-origin Governor Bobby Jindal, who has been selected to deliver the Republicans” response to President Obamas address to the joint session of the US Congress, is likely to call the over 780 billion dollar package to end Americas economic crisis irresponsible and a waste of federal funding.
In recent days, Jindal has displayed another leadership quality: ideological balance.
He is highly critical of the economic theory of the stimulus package and turned down 98 million dollars in temporary unemployment assistance to his state — benefits that would have mandated increased business taxes in Louisiana.
Jindal is not ideologically malleable. His high-pressure Asian-immigrant background has clearly taught him not to blend in but to stand out. He has tended to join small, beleaguered minorities — such as the College Republicans at Brown University.
He converted to a traditionalist Catholicism, in a nation where anti-Catholicism has been called “the last acceptable prejudice.”
Jindal, sometimes accused of excessive assimilation, has actually shown a restless, counter-cultural, intellectual independence, which has earned him some unexpected enthusiasm.
In Louisiana, Jindal is the darling of evangelical and charismatic churches, where he often tells his conversion story.
In some of the most conservative Protestant communities, in one of the most conservative states in America, Piyush “Bobby” Jindal, a strong Catholic with parents from Punjab, is considered “one of us.”
This is a large political achievement.
Ultimately, however, Jindal is a problem-solving wonk, fond of explaining 31-point policy plans. (ANI)
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Don't hate Obama, defeat him: Bobby Jindal - Jun 18, 2011
- Bobby Jindal endorses Rick Perry for president - Sep 13, 2011
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Jindal calls Obama 'most liberal, most incompetent' - Jun 09, 2012
- Jindal will sign "birther bill" if passed by Louisiana legislature - Apr 20, 2011
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Bobby Jindal's support base grows - Sep 02, 2011
- Jindal puts off book to focus on oil spill - May 26, 2010
- Santorum wins Louisiana to slow down Romney - Mar 25, 2012
- Indian-origin Louisiana Guv Jindal facing flak over donation to wife's charity - Mar 04, 2011
- Obama taking economy to tipping point: Bobby Jindal - Aug 05, 2011
- Romney picks conservative Paul Ryan as running mate - Aug 11, 2012
- Nikki slams Obama as Romney clinches nomination - Aug 29, 2012
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: bobby jindal, brown university, charismatic churches, college republicans, conversion story, dollar package, economic crisis, economic theory, indian origin, intellectual independence, joint session, leadership quality, piyush, protestant communities, states in america, stimulus package, traditionalist catholicism, unemployment assistance, us congress, us feb