Jindal, two other GOP Governors see possibility of challenging Obama in 2012February 23rd, 2009 - 5:31 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb.23 (ANI): Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and two other Republican governors are not ruling out the possibility of running for president in 2012.
Speaking on “FOX News Sunday,” South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford said that he has learnt never to predict the future, though as of now, he doesnt plan to run.
Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty said he is thinking about running for re-election in 2010, and that if he were to win, people would expect him to serve out his term.
Jindal said during an NBC’’s “Meet the Press,” program that he plans to seek re-election in 2011 — but he would not give a yes-or-no answer when asked if he wants to be president.
Their views surfaced at the weekend meeting of the National Governors Association.
Jindal and Sanford are considered likely presidential candidates in 2012, but have so far demurred.
Florida Governor Charlie Crist and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger are also said to be in the race, although a law from running precludes Schwarzenegger, a native of Austria, for president. Crist is thought to be a serious prospect.
Obama hosted the governors at the White House on Sunday night in his administration’’s first formal dinner. He said all governors, despite party affiliation, need to work with Washington to repair the economy.
Not present at the governor’’s meeting was Alaska’’s Sarah Palin, arguably the Republican party’’s biggest star. Palin, who joined McCain on the Republican ticket last year, is viewed as a top prospect for 2012 — but that doesn”t mean other governors are standing by in the meantime. (ANI)
- Jindal, Hillary discount White House runs - Nov 22, 2010
- Sarah Palin wants some answers on why Obama contacted Sandra Fluke's parents - Mar 08, 2012
- Obama most popular candidate for 2012 election: Survey - Mar 24, 2011
- Sarah Palin not to run for president - Oct 06, 2011
- Republican lawmaker Pawlenty apologizes for cap-and-trade support - May 01, 2011
- Former Minnesota Gov. Pawlenty drops out of presidential race - Aug 15, 2011
- Cheney steers clear of Palin's US President dreams - Jan 19, 2011
- Sarah Palin defends Newt Gingrich - May 20, 2011
- Over half of Americans think Obama will lose 2012 presidential re-election bid - Feb 09, 2011
- Mitt Romney slightly ahead of potential 2012 GOP presidential candidates: Poll - Jan 25, 2011
- Bobby Jindal endorses Rick Perry for president - Sep 13, 2011
- Bobby Jindal wins 2nd term in landslide - Oct 23, 2011
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Palin gets no vote in recent GOP straw poll - Feb 23, 2011
- GOP presidential hopeful Pawlenty says Palin is a "force of nature" - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, charlie crist, florida governor charlie, florida governor charlie crist, fox news sunday, gop governors, governor arnold schwarzenegger, governor charlie crist, governor mark sanford, governor tim pawlenty, mark sanford, minnesota governor tim pawlenty, national governors association, party affiliation, republican governors, south carolina governor, south carolina governor mark sanford, tim pawlenty