Jindal compared to Kenneth, the dweeby pageMarch 8th, 2009 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar.8 (ANI): Louisianas Indian origin Governor Piyush `Bobby Jindal is being likened to Kenneth, the dweeby page on 30 Rock.
The politically devastating comparisons started popping right up after Jindal delivered the Republican response to President Barack Obamas address a joint session of Congress. And theyve spread like wildfire on the Internet, says Politico.
Close your eyes and think of Kenneth from 30 Rock. I can barely count the number of e-mails making that observation, Andrew Sullivan wrote on his blog minutes after Jindals speech.
Talking Points Memo, The Huffington Post and Gawker also made the comparison that night.
Now the wunderkind governor, whos often mentioned as a GOP presidential prospect, is struggling to overcome his association with this generation’’s version of Gomer Pyle.
And his predicament is organic, as opposed to the biting parodies of Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live.
Several Facebook groups dedicated to the comparison have sprung up. The latest, Bobby Jindal is Kenneth the Page, had more than 20,000 members on Friday. In comparison, nearly 34,000 people list themselves as fans of Jindal on the social networking site.
Nine YouTube videos splicing the governors speech with clips of Kenneth the Page have been viewed by at least 10,000 people and the video of the Kenneth responding to Jindal on Late Night in which he calls Jindal a goober was featured prominently on The Huffington Post and other sites.
In Louisiana, the governors communications director sought to play down the comparisons.
Being compared to Kenneth the Page is a whole lot better than what past Louisiana governors have been compared to, Melissa Sellers said.
Kenneth sounds like Clark Gable.
The content of Jindals speech was not the major issue, though it was also panned by some. It was his appearance and awkward delivery from the Louisiana Governors Mansion in Baton Rouge.
Jindal still has plenty of time to recoup. (ANI)
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian-origin Louisiana Guv Jindal facing flak over donation to wife's charity - Mar 04, 2011
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Jindal is cracking down on fake bath salts used by drug dealers - Jan 12, 2011
- Don't hate Obama, defeat him: Bobby Jindal - Jun 18, 2011
- Bobby Jindal hit by fifth recall petition by disillusioned voter in 2 yr office term - Dec 17, 2010
- Bobby Jindal files for re-election - Sep 07, 2011
- Bobby Jindal- among 12 potential GOP candidates for 2012 presidential polls? - Nov 13, 2010
- Bobby Jindal endorses Rick Perry for president - Sep 13, 2011
- Jindal calls Obama 'most liberal, most incompetent' - Jun 09, 2012
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Louisiana Governor Jindal declares state of emergency due to oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico - Apr 30, 2010
- Bobby Jindal defends Romney on offshore investments - Jul 09, 2012
- Obama taking economy to tipping point: Bobby Jindal - Aug 05, 2011
- Santorum wins Louisiana to slow down Romney - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: andrew sullivan, bobby jindal, clark gable, communications director, goober, governors mansion, governors speech, huffington post, indian origin, joint session of congress, louisiana governors, parodies, piyush bobby jindal, predicament, republican response, sarah palin, saturday night live, social networking site, talking points memo, youtube videos