Jesus was HIV positive: South African pastorSeptember 4th, 2010 - 2:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 4 (ANI): A South African pastor has angered Christians by preaching a sermon entitled ‘Jesus was HIV positive’ in a bid to combat the stigma surrounding HIV and Aids.
“My responsibility as a pastor is to paint a picture of a God who cares for people and wants the best for them, not who judges them and is ashamed of them,” Sky News quoted Reverend Xola Skosana as telling the Mail And Guardian newspaper.
The reverend preaches at the non-denominational Way of Life church in Khayelitsha, near Cape Town, a township with one of the highest rates of HIV in South Africa.
Last month Skosana, who has lost two of his sisters to Aids, underwent an HIV test in front of his congregation, along with more than 100 young people from the township.
While his approach has been appreciated by Aids campaigners in South Africa, some Christians have accused him of portraying Jesus as sexually promiscuous.
Former president Thabo Mbeki fought the claims of Aids campaigners.
“They’re saying you can’t reconcile Jesus and Aids,” Mbeki said.
“But in many parts of the Bible God put himself in the position of the sick and the marginalized,” the priest countered former president’s statement.
Whilst the nation is still recovering from the damage happened due to ignorance towards the HIV issue, the Catholic Church in the country has avoided discussion on Aids. (ANI)
- South African pastor sparks outrage with 'Jesus was HIV-positive' claim - Nov 03, 2010
- Zed explains Hinduism at a Christian church in USA - Oct 25, 2010
- Christmas celebrated with fervour in Meghalaya - Dec 25, 2011
- India celebrates X-mas with carols, joy, feasting (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Ohio strippers protest outside church that wants to end their business - Aug 28, 2010
- Why HIV-uninfected babies of mums with HIV are more prone to infections - Feb 09, 2011
- Use 'colourful language' like Jesus to save Christianity, urges Vicar - Jul 31, 2010
- Over $50 bn illicitly transferred from Africa annually: Mbeki - Aug 16, 2012
- Religion 'can help you live 14 years longer' - Apr 24, 2011
- American university holds unique one-of-a-kind-in-the-world Hindu Baccalaureate Service - Apr 19, 2011
- Church leaders compare climate disasters to Christ crucifixtion - Apr 22, 2011
- Doomsday campers predict Earth will witness apocalypse on May 21 - Mar 08, 2011
- Lutheran Church welcomes Hindu leader on Christmas Eve - Dec 27, 2010
- Ash Wednesday & Lent to begin on the 22nd of February - Feb 21, 2012
- Jesus 'is coming again' on May 21, 2011! - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: bible god, campaigners, cape town, catholic church, former president, guardian newspaper, hiv and aids, hiv positive, hiv test, mail, marginalized, parts of the bible, president thabo, reverend, sermon, sky news, stigma, thabo mbeki, way of life, xola