Jesus has ‘risen’ in Sussex - and he’s wearing baggy jeans!May 14th, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 14 (ANI): It’s 21st century after all so why Jesus Christ should be left behind. A church in East Sussex has unveiled a new seven foot high statue of a modern day Jesus wearing jeans and a shirt.
Father David Buckley unveiled the 35,000-pound Marcus Cornish statue dubbed “Jesus in jeans” at the Our Lady Immaculate and St Philip Neri Catholic church in Uckfield depicting Christ as a man of the 21st century.
In the statue Christ can be seen wearing jeans and a shirt billowing in the wind while his hair and beard are neatly and fashionably trimmed.
Cornish’s sculpture was funded by money left by Winifred Gregory, 87, a member of the congregation who passed away last year, reports The Telegraph.
Father Buckley said: “You are always looking for new ways to enrich people in the experience of Christianity and it is good people can be open-minded to appreciate it.
“On the continent you often encounter modern representations of Jesus but it is not so common over here. We wanted a figure of Christ not in suffering but dynamic and welcoming.
“We felt this design summed up the spirit and activity of Christ perfectly and I think it speaks for itself.”
Cornish said: “The sculpture is simple and direct and I hope it sums up the feeling that Christ is always with us and that we are not to be afraid.
“His clothing is being blown vigorously to add the sense of him being alive and his strength in defying earthly cares.
“The clothing is loosely contemporary in order to connect Christ to his people now as much as to his past. I hope this sculpture will inspire and communicate in very human terms, reaching out and being relevant to both the congregation and local community.” (ANI)
- Solid Rock Chapel unveils their 'Come Unto Me' statue - Nov 03, 2010
- World's tallest statue of Jesus unveiled in Swiebodzin - Nov 22, 2010
- With choruka, kanji, Kerala observes Good Friday - Apr 06, 2012
- Poland set to unveil world's tallest Jesus statue - Nov 07, 2010
- Lightning-struck 60ft Jesus statue in Ohio burns to ground - Jun 16, 2010
- Bieber's waxwork unveiled in London - Mar 17, 2011
- Don Bosco relics arrive in Kolkata - Jul 15, 2011
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Congress attacks CPI-M for using Christ portrait - Feb 03, 2012
- Carols, crackers mark Christmas in Andhra - Dec 25, 2011
- Chinese museum to replicate Michelangelo's sculptures - Jun 20, 2011
- Santa in sand, courtesy Odisha artist (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Steve Waugh immortalized in bronze at SCG - Jan 05, 2011
- Researchers verify the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin - Dec 23, 2011
- Touchdown Jesus Statue Struck By Lightning - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: 21st century, baggy jeans, beard, christianity, continent, cornish, david buckley, east sussex, father buckley, jesus christ, left behind, local community, new ways, philip neri catholic church, representations, sculpture, st philip neri, sussex, telegraph, winifred