Jeev looking to re-discover form at Players ChampionshipMay 6th, 2009 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Ponte Vedra (Florida), May 6 (IANS) Indian golfer Jeev Milkha Singh will be looking to rediscover the form that saw him finish inside top-5 at the World Golf Championship (WGC) when he tees off at this week’s Players Championship here Thursday.
The 2008 Asian Tour Order of merit winner, Jeev will lead the Asian challenge alongside Thongchai Jaidee and the field also includes Korean trio KJ Choi, Charlie Wi and Yang Yong-eun, all graduates of the Asian Tour besides Tour’s honorary member Vijay Singh of Fiji.
The Players Championship is often regarded as the unofficial fifth major due to the strength of the field and the $9.5 million prize money which is on offer this week.
Jeev will be looking to bounce back from his disappointment of missing the cut at the Masters by one shot with a strong outing at the Players Championship. His last three starts have seen him miss cuts at Shell Houston, Masters and Quail Hollow Championships.
Earlier in March, he finished fourth at the WGC-CA Championship in Doral, a result which edged him closer towards his goal of winning on US soil this year.
“I have been playing well and it is always a great feeling when you line up alongside the world’s best,” said Jeev. “It is just a matter of a good week and I will be back to that form.”
Thailand’s Thongchai, who forced his way into the elite field following his 12th Asian Tour victory at the Ballantine’s Championship in Korea a fortnight ago, will be another one to watch.
- Jeev aiming to dislodge compatriot Chowrasia from top of Asian Tour - Nov 09, 2011
- Rejuvenated and fit Jeev returns to action at WGC - Aug 05, 2009
- British Open, a Major with a lot of imponderables - Jul 14, 2010
- Asian Tour scores on all fronts in first half of the year - Jun 30, 2010
- Digvijay eyes 'double' at Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open - Sep 18, 2012
- Westwood eyes more Asian glory at Thailand golf - Dec 05, 2011
- Atwal leads strong Indian challenge at Malaysian Open - Mar 02, 2010
- Korean golf star Choi seeks an elusive major title - Oct 15, 2011
- Jeev drops to eighth in World Golf Championship - Mar 14, 2009
- Jyoti, Bhullar, Kapur lead Indian challenge - Apr 21, 2010
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 17, 2011
- Finishing blues cost Jeev dear; Tiger keeps lead - Aug 16, 2009
- Atwal zooms to tied seventh, Jeev rises to 23rd - May 23, 2010
- Jeev seeks to overcome injury setback at Panasonic Open - Sep 19, 2012
- Rookie Indian golfer to play in same event as Tiger - Nov 03, 2009
Tags: asian challenge, asian tour, ballantine, charlie wi, doral, elite field, fortnight, honorary member, jeev milkha singh, merit winner, order of merit, players championship, prize money, shell houston, thongchai jaidee, tour victory, vijay singh, wgc ca championship, world golf championship, yang yong