Jeev honoured at Johnnie Walker Classic awards eveningFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Perth, Feb 22 (IANS) Top Indian golfer Jeev Milkha Singh, talented South Korean teenager Noh Seung-yul and Colombian Camilo Villegas were honoured at the Johnnie Walker Gala Evening here Saturday.
Jeev was named the Johnnie Walker Asian Player of the Year for the second time in his illustrious career while Noh won the Johnnie Walker Asian Rising Star award. Villegas received the Johnnie Walker Young Player of the Year award on a night when (Aus) $30,500 was raised in a charity auction.
The tenacious Jeev produced a spectacular season in 2008 where he won four times around the world and also claimed his second Asian Tour’s Order of Merit title in three years. He also made history by becoming the first player in Asian golf history to surpass US$1 million in earnings during a single season.
Lin Wen-tang of Chinese Taipei and Thai duo Prayad Marksaeng and Thongchai Jaidee were the other nominees of the Johnnie Walker Asian Player of the Year award.
The 17-year-old Noh beat compatriot Bae Sang-moon, Japan’s Ryo Ishikawa and Ben Leong of Malaysia for the Johnnie Walker Asian Rising Star award after an impressive rookie season on the Asian Tour last year.
Noh posted one victory and three other runner-up finishes to finish 10th on the Order of Merit. He received the award from Australian legend Greg Norman, who graced the evening with several other golf stars who are competing in this week’s Johnnie Walker Classic at The Vines Resort and Country Club in Western Australia.
World No.9 Villegas beat Rory McIlroy of Ireland, American Anthony Kim, Germany’s Martin Kaymer, Australian Rick Kulacz and Pablo Larrazabal of Spain for his award. Villegas was victorious in the last two events on the US PGA Tour last season and broke into the world’s top-10, becoming the first Colombian to achieve the feat.
The selection panel of the Johnnie Walker Awards included officials from the Asian, European and Australasian Tours.
- Lahiri aims for double at Panasonic Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Strong Indian challenge at Asia-Pacific Panasonic golf - Sep 21, 2010
- Villegas, Kim to play in Iskandar Johor Open - Oct 06, 2011
- Digvijay eyes 'double' at Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open - Sep 18, 2012
- Jeev seeks to overcome injury setback at Panasonic Open - Sep 19, 2012
- Jimenez turns the clock back, wins European Masters - Sep 06, 2010
- Kapur drops to 11th, Jeev 26th in KLM Open - Sep 13, 2010
- Moneywise it will be a tough year for golf: Jeev - Jan 03, 2012
- Poor weather plays spoilsport at Panasonic Open Golf - Sep 23, 2010
- Flawless Bhullar in joint lead in Japan - Sep 25, 2010
- Bhullar drops, but Chowrasia rises - Sep 26, 2010
- Jeev looks to end title drought in Thailand - Dec 12, 2011
- Jeev becomes first Indian to play in Volvo World Matchplay - Oct 27, 2009
- Jeev goes down to Poulter in WGC Matchplay - Feb 20, 2010
- Westwood eyes more Asian glory at Thailand golf - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: asian golf, asian tour, australian legend, camilo villegas, charity auction, chinese taipei, gala evening, golf history, illustrious career, jeev milkha singh, johnnie walker classic, merit title, rory mcilroy, ryo ishikawa, selection panel, spectacular season, star award, thongchai jaidee, times around the world, vines resort