JCT shock Dempo to start I-League in styleSeptember 28th, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Margao, Sep 28 (IANS) JCT shocked defending champions Dempo 2-1 to make a runaway start in the second edition of the football I-League here Sunday.Dempo coach Armando Colaco had already said that I-League is not his priority right now because the club is in the semi-final of the AFC Cup tournament. But his boys showed intent at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium to start the campaign on a winning note. Dempo dominated the game but the Punjab club scraped past with a lucky win with strikes from Brazilian striker Eduardo da’Silva Escobar and Balwant Singh. Nicholas Borges helped Dempo reduce the margin.
Dempo paid heavily due to the chances missed by strikers Nigerian Ranty Martin and Congolese Mboyo Iyomi. The forwards got lot of support from their Brazilian playmaker Beto and India midfielder Climax Lawrence but still failed to capitalise.
JCT took the lead in the 17th minute when Escobar chested a fine cross from Daljeet Singh and shot past a hapless Abhijit Mondal. Balwant doubled the lead in the 64th minute after he found himself at the receiving end of a clever Baljeet Saini pass.
Borges pulled one back in the 79th minute after he was fed by Beto.
Dempo coach Armando said he was not disappointed with the result as he is looking at the AFC Cup semi-final.
“My boys played well and we dominated the game. I am not disappointed with the result. Our target is now the AFC Cup.”
JCT coach Sukhwinder Singh admitted his team was lucky to get two points from the away match.
“They are the best team in the country now. And today, they showed it again by maintaining the domination. We are lucky to get full points from the match,” he said.
- AFC CUP: Dempo SC register 2-1 win over Yemen's Al Tilal - Mar 02, 2011
- Churchill Brothers make third consecutive Durand Cup final - Sep 19, 2009
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- Shah Rukh Khan to buy stake in I-League champions Dempo - Jun 01, 2012
- SRK eyes stake in I-League champions Dempo (Evening Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Indian football fraternity shocked at JCT's decision - Jun 20, 2011
- Durand Cup: Dempo beat Air India, Mahindra held by Lajong - Sep 14, 2009
- JCT hold Churchill Brothers in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- I-league starts Friday with all eyes on Dempo - Sep 25, 2008
- Dempo are I-League champions - May 10, 2010
- AFC Challenge Cup squad announced - Feb 12, 2010
- JCT looking to overcome poor I-League start against Churchill - Dec 06, 2010
- Churchill ride Beto's brace to beat Shillong Lajong 2-0 - Jan 18, 2012
- Prayag in semi-final of Fed Cup - Sep 22, 2011
- Dempo eager for win against Pune FC to defend I-League title - May 26, 2011