Japan’s new envoy to China faints on Tokyo streetSeptember 13th, 2012 - 1:59 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Sep 13 (IANS) Japan’s newly appointed Ambassador to China Shinichi Nishimiya fell unconscious Thursday morning on a street in Tokyo, police said, adding that the sudden fainting was caused by illness.
Nishimiya’s appointment was approved by the government Tuesday to replace current Japanese Ambassador Uichiro Niwa, at a time when the two countries are embroiled in a dispute over a group of islands in the East China Sea, media reports said.
A passerby saw the 60-year-old Nishimiya faint on a street in Tokyo’s Shibuya Ward, reported Xinhua.
Nishimiya was taken to hospital, said police.
As deputy foreign minister in charge of economic affairs, Nishimiya had until recently been making arrangements with other countries in relation to the just-concluded summit of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum in Vladivostok, Russia.
A newly appointed ambassador usually begins work in the designated country within 40 days of the appointment after being briefed by his or her predecessor, according to the Japanese foreign ministry.
- Japanese embassy in China launches micro blog - Feb 17, 2011
- China to Japan: Release detained boat skipper immediately and unconditionally - Sep 20, 2010
- 'India seeks secure Asia free of terror' - Jun 29, 2012
- Japan PM might visit China to improve the soured bilateral ties - Jan 01, 2011
- Asia-Pacific key to Russia's future: Putin - Sep 06, 2012
- `First US-Japan-India trilateral not aimed at China' (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- First US-Japan-India trilateral, say not aimed at China - Dec 20, 2011
- Russia refutes peace deal with Japan at APEC summit - Sep 02, 2012
- Chinese president, Canadian PM discuss strategic ties - Sep 09, 2012
- Pakistan, Japan reaffirm resolve to strengthen efforts against terrorism - Feb 23, 2011
- 'US-led war games detrimental to Asia-Pacific stability' - Aug 05, 2012
- Putin to meet Clinton for Syria discussions - Sep 07, 2012
- Taiwan to help Russia build world's largest aquarium - Jul 27, 2010
- India to go ahead with trilateral talks with US, Japan - Sep 01, 2011
- Chinese daily warns of China, Japan `full confrontation' - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: appointment, asia pacific economic cooperation, east china sea, economic affairs, economic cooperation forum, faints, foreign minister, japanese ambassador, japanese foreign ministry, niwa, pacific economic cooperation, passerby, predecessor, shibuya, shinichi, thursday morning, tokyo police, tokyo street, vladivostok russia, xinhua