Japan’s foreign reserves rise above $1 trillion in MarchApril 7th, 2009 - 11:06 am ICT by IANS
Tokyo, April 7 (DPA) Japan’s foreign reserves exceeded $1 trillion in March, thanks to gains in the appraisal values of its US Treasury bond holdings and euro-denominated assets, the finance ministry said Tuesday.
The nation’s foreign reserves totalled $1.02 trillion, up from $9.2 billion in the previous month.
Japan held $905.53 billion in foreign securities as of March 31 while its foreign currency deposits amounted to $84.2 billion.
The nation had $7.43 billion of those deposits in foreign central banks and the Basel-based Bank for International Settlements, $20.9 billion in Japanese banks and $55.88 billion in foreign financial institutions.
Gold reserves totalled $22.55 billion.
Japan had $2.95 billion in International Monetary Fund (IMF) reserve positions and $2.95 billion in IMF special drawing rights. Other reserve assets came to $366 million.
Japan was the world’s second-largest holder of foreign reserves after China, according to IMF data.
Japan’s foreign exchange reserves consist mainly of securities and deposits denominated in foreign currencies, gold, and reserve positions and special drawing rights at the IMF.
- South Korea's foreign reserves go up - Apr 03, 2012
- South Korea's foreign reserves grow in three months - Feb 02, 2012
- South Korea's foreign reserves expand - Mar 05, 2012
- India's forex reserves rise by $758.3 million - May 05, 2012
- India's forex reserves slump by $4.05 billion - Oct 01, 2011
- South Korea's foreign reserves over $300 bn - May 03, 2012
- South Korea's foreign reserves shrink to $308 bn - Dec 02, 2011
- India's forex reserves slump by $5.72 billion - Nov 13, 2011
- India's forex reserves fall by $2.187 billion - May 12, 2012
- India's forex reserves rise to $293.44 billion - Feb 25, 2012
- India's forex reserves fall by $112 million - Jul 23, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise to $289.15 bn - Aug 11, 2012
- India's forex reserves decline by $250 million - Aug 25, 2012
- India's forex reserves rise by $266 million - Sep 24, 2011
- India's forex reserves plunges by $336 million - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: bank for international settlements, bond holdings, central banks, dpa, finance ministry, financial institutions, foreign currencies, foreign currency deposits, foreign exchange reserves, foreign securities, gold reserves, imf data, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, japanese banks, reserve assets, special drawing rights, tokyo, trillion, us treasury bond